cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5Ghz RT-AC68U Mesh Node using AXE11000 6Ghz SSID/Password

TechGuy42
Level 9
I've had the AXE11000 since launch and finally got around to running an ethernet jack to my office upstairs so I can use ethernet backhaul mode with my old RT-AC68U as a mesh node. As y'all may be aware; the AXE11000 is wifi 2.4/5/6G while the RT-AC68U is only 2.4/5G... the issue is that for the 5Ghz side, the RT-AC68U mesh node is trying to broadcast the SSID/Password that AXE11000 is broadcasting on 6Ghz, rather than using the AXE11000's 5Ghz SSID/Password. There is no issue with the 2.4ghz side of things at the RT-AC68U.

To troubleshoot, I have both disabled the 6ghz wifi and duplicated the SSID/Password for 5ghz and 6ghz on the AXE11000... but the RT-AC68U still will not connect to any 5ghz devices because it must be trying to use some part of the wifi 6 settings from the AXE11000. I have tried these settings independently as well as together, still no 5ghz devices will connect to the RT-AC68U. Both devices have been factory reformatted and are fully updated to the latest firmwares, I am unable to change any of the RT-AC68U radio settings such as SSID/Password but only to simply turn 2.4 or 5 radio on/off.

I have contacted support and provided detailed information on the steps I've shared here with y'all, they sent me generic setup info for a different router without acknowledging any of the information I provided except what seems to be a generic canned response;

"Based on the error you described. By default WIFI 6 is enabled during the setup, you haven't disabled it that's why it still functioning. We recommend that you perform the below initial troubleshooting steps.
Before setting up ZenWiFi AiMesh, please check the following:
AiMesh router: The first router connected to the modem is called AiMesh router.
AiMesh node: The other routers connected to the AiMesh router are called nodes.
(1) Please make sure you have two ZenWiFi series routers that support AiMesh function.
(2) Please make sure that your ZenWiFi series routers have been updated to the latest version of firmware. For how to update the router firmware version, please refer to: [Wireless] How to update the firmware of your router to the latest version ?
(3) Please check whether your device model has the difference between AiMesh router and AiMesh node. Some models cannot be exchanged. Please refer to the following:
Models that can be exchanged: ZenWiFi XT8, ZenWiFi CT8
Models that cannot be exchanged: ZenWiFi XD4, ZenWiFi CD6 (How to identify the router and the node, please refer to the Frequently asked questions )
(4) It is recommended to place your AiMesh router and the node at a distance of about 1-3 meters, wait for the AiMesh system to be established, and then move the node to an appropriate location according to your environment.
Start set up ZenWiFi AiMesh
The following steps take the use of ZenWiFi XT8 to wirelessly establish ZenWiFi AiMesh as an example.
If you want to build an AiMesh system by wire, please refer to: [AiMesh] Can I set up wired connection between AiMesh routers (Ethernet backhaul)?
Step 1: Plug the adapter into the DCIN port and press the power button on the back of the AiMesh router and AiMesh node.
"

I suspect the issue is in the primary mesh AXE11000. If anyone has had success fixing this or advice how to proceed getting better assistance from ASUS, I would greatly appreciate the help. I dont like the feeling of maybe i need to buy another wifi 6 router just to have functional mesh. Thanks for helping!

UPDATE 6/10: Support has escalated the case and taken the config & syslog files from the router. The ball is in their court for the time being

UPDATE 6/14: Support contacted me for the 6th time today, giving me the same troubleshooting steps that are entirely irrelevant to the issue described... They're repeatedly sending me instructions how to basically unplug and reset the system, as if i havent tried a power cycle yet

UPDATE 6/16: Support contacted me for the 8th time today, asking for the wireless feedback form which I've send them from the 2nd correspondence. After calling support myself and asking for a supervisor, they found the form and were able to determine that the issue is part of the firmware in the AXE11000. The primary router is what configures the mesh nodes, so they want me to send my unit for them to have a look
6 REPLIES 6

Saltgrass
Level 13
I don't have an 86U (anymore) but was wondering how you were able to see the 6 GHz radio? I will assume by using the Registry modification on your computer's Wi-Fi card. As far as I know, there is no password usable with the 6 GHz radio. If you are seeing something different, please advise.

The Backhaul channel carries most (all) of the communications back to the AXE11000, correct. It is much faster than the wireless option. The node router should not need to use the Wi-Fi to make that connection.

If the AC86U is using the 5 GHz, in addition to the Ethernet Backhaul, then it is not open for local connections, I believe..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
how you were able to see the 6 GHz radio?

I cant necessarily see the 6GHz radio, I'm just seeing the 5Ghz radio on the 68U broadcasting the SSID that I had set to the 6GHz radio on the AXE11000. I dont have any true wifi 6 devices yet, planning to upgrade the wifi card in my laptop.

Saltgrass wrote:
If you are seeing something different, please advise.

The 68U is broadcasting the AXE11000's 6Ghz SSID on its 5GHz channel but as open, however devices arent connecting to it

Saltgrass wrote:
If the AC68U is using the 5 GHz, in addition to the Ethernet Backhaul, then it is not open for local connections, I believe..

The 68U is not using 5GHz for backhaul, its broadcasting the AXE11000's 6GHz SSID on the 68U's 5GHz channel (originally the AXE11000 I had set different SSIDs for each band but now I've tried making them the same in attempt to troubleshoot, to no success)

Saltgrass
Level 13
When I had a system setup, it was also showing that SSID, which I did not understand since it cannot see that frequency.. So, How would it see a 6 GHz SSID .. through the backhaul?

Right now, the 6GHz is not working using WPA-3 because, for some reason, it won't accept a password. The FAQ ASUS has up states you can join the Windows Insider program and it will work but it doesn't..

Microsoft is supposed to be making some type of announcement on June 24th. Maybe some improvements are being held back for that event..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
When I had a system setup, it was also showing that SSID, which I did not understand since it cannot see that frequency.. So, How would it see a 6 GHz SSID .. through the backhaul?

This was the same for me, during setup i couldnt understand why it showed that SSID when the 68U has no wifi 6 radio

Saltgrass wrote:

Right now, the 6GHz is not working using WPA-3 because, for some reason, it won't accept a password. The FAQ ASUS has up states you can join the Windows Insider program and it will work but it doesn't..

Microsoft is supposed to be making some type of announcement on June 24th. Maybe some improvements are being held back for that event..

What does the Windows Insider Program have to do with it? WPA-3 is not a Microsoft thing.

Saltgrass
Level 13
@BillBitel, at least two things. The Intel Wi-Fi driver, 22.50.0 was only available with the Insider program. Secondly, the 6 GHz band needed to be supported on your system which may have been the job of the Intel driver.

I am wondering if the Password situation is Asus's fault since I have everything they told us we needed.. Right now the network shows as using an older Security Standard or cannot connect to network..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200