cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Old ROG GL553VD Getting Slower

wick3dsono
Level 7
Hi, I have a ROG GL553VD, bought it about 3-4 years ago. I've upgraded the RAM from 8 to 16, and recently(this year) I changed the SSD from previously about 250GB to 500GB.

About from last year, my laptop getting slower significantly in games. Almost every AAA games is laggy even in low settings. My most played games are Civ 6, last year I still can play smoothly (before changing SSD), but now, it's very laggy, almost unplayable, still playable because it's turn based, but very uncomfortable. My Assassin Creed from last year til now is unplayable lag.

Although I never change anything significantly (hardware, overclocking, installing misc software). Are every laptop performance getting slower over the year, or are there any kind of maintenance to bring back the old performance.

Thank you.
3 REPLIES 3

BigJohnny
Level 13
Most likely OS getting trashed.
If the original image is still intact you can do a reset and put it back to a factory state, of course you will have to reinstall all the apps. If you dont have the original image and have previously wiped the drive and installed windows then another clean install.

I recently experienced the same on a G752VY losing its umph. I still have the factory image and cloned it to the new drives I have running a raid array and its back to like it was out of the box. This is mostly just junk getting into the system, orphaned dll files and the likes. If you ever installed any ASUS software guarantee theres tracks of that all over the place that can be found and deleted but takes more time than the system reset or clean install does. I have the same happen on my desktop. Id say every one to two years tops I have to do a restore from a clean install to get it back to prime operating state.

On the laptop its easier to do a factory reset as all the ATK packages and drivers are already there. Just have some bloatware to remove.

If you did a clean install and have to do it again then this time once you get it all set up do a back up so when it happens again you can just restore to the clean back up, thats what I do on my desktop.

Hi Bigjohnny, I already factory reset my windows, and reinstalling the programs. I try to keep it minimal. Then I test my computer on userbenchmark, and it still sucks. I don't know why.

this is my benchmark after factory reset, still using the Intel HD graphics (gaming 10%)
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/44151421

this is the benchmark after I change the graphic card to Nvidia (gaming 22%)
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/44151508

the benchmark before factory reset was (gaming 7%) if Im not forgot.

How is this happen? or how can I optimize this?

BigJohnny wrote:
Most likely OS getting trashed.
If the original image is still intact you can do a reset and put it back to a factory state, of course you will have to reinstall all the apps. If you dont have the original image and have previously wiped the drive and installed windows then another clean install.

I recently experienced the same on a G752VY losing its umph. I still have the factory image and cloned it to the new drives I have running a raid array and its back to like it was out of the box. This is mostly just junk getting into the system, orphaned dll files and the likes. If you ever installed any ASUS software guarantee theres tracks of that all over the place that can be found and deleted but takes more time than the system reset or clean install does. I have the same happen on my desktop. Id say every one to two years tops I have to do a restore from a clean install to get it back to prime operating state.

On the laptop its easier to do a factory reset as all the ATK packages and drivers are already there. Just have some bloatware to remove.

If you did a clean install and have to do it again then this time once you get it all set up do a back up so when it happens again you can just restore to the clean back up, thats what I do on my desktop.

xeromist
You may also have dust buildup or the thermal paste is drying out. Higher temps can cause the machine to downclock in order to keep them in control. A local PC shop should be able to clean and repaste for you or you can do it yourself if you feel comfortable.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…