cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi 6 speed issues with AX11000

Soupladel
Level 10
I originally posted a couple of months ago on this issue and have spent much of that time trying to sort this problem and havent gotten anywhere close to getting an answer or a solution.

I have a full fibre 1Gbps (FTTP) service and am using the AX11000 connected directly to the fibre ONT, no other nodes or mesh devices are connected.

using Ethernet, i can achieve close to the maximum speed for my service without breaking a sweat, however on wifi 6 the most i can get is around 600Mbps if i am lucky, usually it sits around 400 Mbps.

I have used multiple different wifi clients and the results dont really vary which suggests the limitations are occuring as a result of the router itself.

So the question is, in ideal conditions, is it realisitic to expect 900Mbps+ on 5G_1 using a 2x2 wifi 6 client?
15 REPLIES 15

btrach144
Level 7
I get 940/940 when hard wired with CAT 8.

I get 500/600 when in the same room with iPhone 12 Pro Max.

I get 300/400 in the rest of the house.

I'd say your numbers are right. Ethernet is always king.

WiFi 6E help to solve a lot of the issues with 5Ghz but it's still in the early days. I would suggest holding off on 6E unless you love living on the bleeding edge.

btrach144 wrote:
I get 940/940 when hard wired with CAT 8.

I get 500/600 when in the same room with iPhone 12 Pro Max.

I get 300/400 in the rest of the house.

I'd say your numbers are right. Ethernet is always king.

WiFi 6E help to solve a lot of the issues with 5Ghz but it's still in the early days. I would suggest holding off on 6E unless you love living on the bleeding edge.

I am absolutely not looking to buy new hardware at the moment, just a little frustrated that the AX11000 isnt living up to the hype and i perhaps should have invested in another system.

I am seeing people with systems like the Velop MX10 hitting top speed on wifi using similar devices to those that i have tested on the AX11000

Saltgrass
Level 13
When you check the client you are using, what link speed does it show? The 5 GHz_1 should be around or close to 2402 Mbps with a strong signal. Getting the full 1000 Mbps should be no problem..

And as was probably mentioned before, check to see is anything is limiting your speed either on the Router or Client side..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
When you check the client you are using, what link speed does it show? The 5 GHz_1 should be around or close to 2402 Mbps with a strong signal. Getting the full 1000 Mbps should be no problem..

And as was probably mentioned before, check to see is anything is limiting your speed either on the Router or Client side..

not all clients have the ability to confirm the link speed but in the case of my laptop, its currently reporting a link speed of 2402Mbps receive but i am getting 630 Mbps using an AX201 based wifi card.

in terms of the wifi being restricted, what could possible restrict the wifi to that extent?

i have no QoS enabled, Airtime Fairness, Multi-User MIMO and Universal beamforming are all disabled.

I am not using Smart Connect to ensure i am using 5 Ghz_1

Wireless mode is auto, wifi 6 is enabled, 160Mhz is enabled.

Interference is non-existent but even so, i have tried playing about with the channels to see if that makes a difference and it doesnt.

I am currently on Firmware 386_41994

I have also ensured i have the latest intel drivers for the wifi card

I am currently sat less than 2m from the router, and varying the distance doesnt improve things to rule out being too close or not close enough.

There is currently nothing else on the network that could be affectng bandwidth

The internal speed test on the router is showing 916Mbps, i have repeated this test on the laptop using the same (ookla) sped test and ensured i am using the same server for consistency and that was the 630Mbps i reported earlier.

Saltgrass
Level 13
Does your ISP have its own speed test? I like to watch the speeds in the Task Manager when I download a large file. Since what you are seeing is below normal Ethernet speeds, you could even check the speed internally.

Are you using any security measures on the Router or your system that might be slowing down the transfer?

I just checked my download speeds and originally only got 50% of what it normally is. After some messing around, like resetting the modem, I got it back to normal..

Since it appears you have done everything you can, maybe look at the laptops device drivers, especially regarding the chipset. The AX201 card is a CNVio version and uses the chipset for its operations. I have one of those on my Z490 system and it always seemed to work normally, although not currently in use. If you want, I can set it back up and try to see if it has any problems..

Most of the settings on my Router are default.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

So on Ethernet I get full speedÂ*

The routers internal speed test gets full speed

The only time I have speed issues is on Wi-fi, in addition to the laptop (which has the latest drivers for everything) I have a desktop PC which is now using a AX200 based Wi-fi card and has all its drivers upto date.Â*

I have also tried an iPhone 11 Pro Max and an iPhone 12 both of which support the AX standard and I can’t get above 600Mbps which in truth is probably more than enough. However it bothers we that I can’t get full speed on Wi-fi out of the router through no fault of my own, especially where everything is pointing to the fact I should be able to get full speed Â*Â*

Saltgrass
Level 13
OK, a couple of questions. You do not want me to set up my AX 201 for testing?

It sounds like the desktop with the AX200 also has a speed problem?

I wish I could help with the 1 Gbps internet speed but mine is only 400 Mbps, so there is no way for me to test.. I have gotten 1.4 Gbps speeds when transferring internally.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
OK, a couple of questions. You do not want me to set up my AX 201 for testing?

It sounds like the desktop with the AX200 also has a speed problem?

I wish I could help with the 1 Gbps internet speed but mine is only 400 Mbps, so there is no way for me to test.. I have gotten 1.4 Gbps speeds when transferring internally.

I thank you for the offer butwithout know what you get for speeds above 600Mbps i am not sure how useful it would be in my circumstances.

As for my desktop, it does have a speed problem in the sense that it to cannot get much above 600Mbps over wifi 6, yet can get full speed over ethernet

BigJohnny
Level 13
Whats your distance to router. Faster it gets the shorter the disance gets. This is pretty much line of sight with no barriers to get optimal performance. Why I run 10Gbe over copper with a netgear nighthawk X10. Fiber out to Managed switch in Basement, fiber to NAS then 10Gbe over copper to second floor to another managed switch where my PC plugs in, has onboard Aquantia 10Gbe network adaptor. Its fast to ISP (limitation is the 1GB up and down of FIOS) and its nice to see transfers back and forth to my NAS being limited by drive speed instead of network speed. NAS has an NVME 500GB samsung 960 pro as a buffer to the spinners. I generally average 1Gbps transfer speeds.