cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z590 board coil whine? Has this actually been acknowledged - any sign of a fix?

pdixon0
Level 8
Hi, lots of talk on various forums, including this one, about quite bad coil whine on the new Z590 boards.

Personally I'm on a STRIX Z590-E and I've never had a board make so much noise. Have tried 10700K, 11700K and various BIOS and makes no difference.

Has this actually been acknowledged by ASUS and is there any hope of a fix, or is it hardware and not able to be fixed by a BIOS update?
1 REPLY 1

Zeroed85
Level 8
pdixon0 wrote:
Hi, lots of talk on various forums, including this one, about quite bad coil whine on the new Z590 boards.

Personally I'm on a STRIX Z590-E and I've never had a board make so much noise. Have tried 10700K, 11700K and various BIOS and makes no difference.

Has this actually been acknowledged by ASUS and is there any hope of a fix, or is it hardware and not able to be fixed by a BIOS update?

I've had an XIII Hero for around three months and never heard any coil whine from it. That changed a week ago. I started to hear this irritating sractchy noise. I put my ear to the case and isolated the noise to the VRM of the motherboard. Convinced something had gone bad I decided to buy another Hero board. I just finished installing it and on the stock BIOS it shipped with again it was silent like I remember my original board. However when I flashed the current 0902 BIOS the coil whine is back... So... I have hopes this is a BIOS issue an not hardware but it would great if Asus could clarify because I'm uncertain as to whether I have faulty boards...