cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2nd pcie slot not working maximus viii hero

dardares
Level 7
Hi,

I have an Maximus VIII Hero that the 2nd pcie slot didn't recognized anything. There's the full system specs:

-Maximus VIII Hero motherboard
-Intel core i7 6700K
-16GB RAM G-Skill 3200mhz
-Corsair RM650 PSU
-Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 (X16 slot)
-GPU tryied on the 2nd slot: EVGA Geforce GTX 660, Sapphire pulse RX580, Powercolor RX 5700xt

The first pcie slot work fine, without any issues, whit any gpu. The X8 slot didn't recognize anything. Here's what i've tryied:

-First, read the motherboard specs and user manual to be pretty sure that this board can accept 2 GPU, this is the case
-Clear the cmos, didn't touch any bios setting: Not recognized
-Put PCIE to Gen1, activate above 4G decoding, didn't work
-Remove PSU cable from the gpu, power on the pc to confirm that the fan spin, this is the case, so there's power inside the pcie slot.
-Tryied to put 2nd gpu on the X4 Slot (chipset) that work
-GPU isn't recognized in the bios, and on the os (Both linux and windows)
-All of my gpu is working pretty fine on the first slot and the x4 slot, and in other computer

In the bios and manual, they said to use X8 slot for a 2nd gpu, but that didn't work. I'm doing computer troubleshooting and fix since many years but this one, i can't find the issue, so any help would be appreciated. I have an older board (P8Z77-V Deluxe) and this board accept any gpu on the 2nd slot. I didn't understand why a cheaper and older board accept it, but not this one.

Thank you
5 REPLIES 5

raju2529
Level 7
@dardares
will you contacted support team from EVGA and Sapphire website .I think , there are few troubleshooting steps might be included in those official website .
If possible , send the details with videos to gpu developer email id.
Intel i5 7200U_ Nvidia 940MX _Windows_11_Enterprise_64bit_22H2_buildno_22621.754

Hi,

Just dismounted the board from the case, removing the cpu, make sure that no any pent are bent or damaged on the socket, make sure there is no dust or anything, it is not, plug a test powersupply on the bench whit the board on the table, still no any gpu detected on the pci x8_2. Still having power on it (gpu fan spin, but not recognized by the bios and the os)

Thank

dardares
Level 7
Hi,

Since i have the issues whit every gpu i put on the 2nd slot, i don't think is gpu related. Also, every single of gpu tryied on the 2nd slot working pretty good on the first slot, or on any other motherboard (first or the 2nd slot). I've tryied 4 different gpu.

Thank

BigJohnny
Level 13
Probably not the GPU. Id guess limitation on lanes or incorrect BIOS setting.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

Remove the CPU, check for any bent pins. Remount cooling whilst checking for even mounting pressure. You may wish to try outside of the chassis, too.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090