cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tuf Gaming 3080 ti on x570E Gaming - "VGA" mode issues

Swallowtail23
Level 7
Strange issue on an upgrade to an existing PC, Asus X570E Gaming, Ryzen 9 5900, 64GB. It has had an MSI 2060 Super in it all working fine, with DisplayPort connection into a Samsung CRG90 49" widescreen.

I just installed the Tuf Gaming 3080 ti and while it boots, it will not initiate "VGA" mode on its way through BIOS, and the motherboard retains its white "VGA" boot issue LED lit all the time. If I connect over HDMI to the Samsung same issue happens.

If I connect to an old LG 27" monitor I have it works fine, initiates VGA mode, BIOS is accessible, and the PC boots fully without the VGA fail white LED lighting up.

I'm at a bit of a loss to work out what the issue is, whether it's the card, the motherboard or the monitor. Anyone got any ideas?
41 REPLIES 41

Swallowtail23
Level 7
I've logged a support case U2106001728-0001 - will see if anyone responds...

No support reply yet.

One more thing I have discovered:

- I suspend the PC and then resume, when it resumes from suspend state the white LED for VGA fail does not light up.

I assume this is because it does not attempt to initiate VGA graphics mode but goes straight into Windows, so it does not see a VGA mode fail.

Every time I boot or reboot, i.e. go through a VGA mode - no VGA mode, no BIOS screens, and white LED for VGA fail remains permanently lit.

Initial support response is a fairly simple "check all of the obvious things" - power supply, card slot seating, does the computer work, test with other equipment, try with IGP (N/A), temperatures and cooling, and whether the monitor supports the graphics card's modes (which given that the "mode" is basic VGA output in "BIOS" mode and that it works with 2 x other graphics cards in the same computer, I am pretty sure that is fine).

So will see what they come back with next.

Did some more testing.

With a HDMI cable the 3080ti activates a a monitor-supported VGA mode going through boot and I see BIOS screens; it eventually loads into Windows but is limited to 5120x1440 @ 60Hz. The motherboard does not see any VGA error, so no LED lit.

With a DisplayPort cable the 3080ti does NOT activate a monitor-supported VGA mode going through boot and I do not see BIOS screens; it eventually drops into Windows at monitor-maximum 5120x1440 @ 120Hz. The motherboard sees a VGA error, so the white VGA LED stays lit.

So this appears to be a 3080 ti output mode over DP not matching the Samsung through BIOS / boot. Other cards work fine in the same configuration (e.g. 2060 Super).

Swallowtail23 wrote:
Did some more testing.

With a HDMI cable the 3080ti activates a a monitor-supported VGA mode going through boot and I see BIOS screens; it eventually loads into Windows but is limited to 5120x1440 @ 60Hz. The motherboard does not see any VGA error, so no LED lit.

With a DisplayPort cable the 3080ti does NOT activate a monitor-supported VGA mode going through boot and I do not see BIOS screens; it eventually drops into Windows at monitor-maximum 5120x1440 @ 120Hz. The motherboard sees a VGA error, so the white VGA LED stays lit.

So this appears to be a 3080 ti output mode over DP not matching the Samsung through BIOS / boot. Other cards work fine in the same configuration (e.g. 2060 Super).

Similar issue on my z490-e with a evga rtx 3080ti ftw ultra. i cant see the bios post screen with any DP port or cable i try but hdmi i can see the bios fine. DP works when it gets to windows loaded but nothing before that. I just upgraded from the rtx 3080 ft ultra and had no issues with that card at all?
I have updated to the latest 6/24 bios update and updated teh video card with the latest vbios provided by the evga precision software with no luck still. not sure what to do? i already did the basics of bios defaults and clean install of nvidia drivers as well. when i called evga they said theyre getting reports or this from all sorts of manufactuer 3080ti cards not just theirs and to contact the motherboard manufacturer.

milesk182 wrote:
Similar issue on my z490-e with a evga rtx 3080ti ftw ultra. i cant see the bios post screen with any DP port or cable i try but hdmi i can see the bios fine. DP works when it gets to windows loaded but nothing before that. I just upgraded from the rtx 3080 ft ultra and had no issues with that card at all?
I have updated to the latest 6/24 bios update and updated teh video card with the latest vbios provided by the evga precision software with no luck still. not sure what to do? i already did the basics of bios defaults and clean install of nvidia drivers as well. when i called evga they said theyre getting reports or this from all sorts of manufactuer 3080ti cards not just theirs and to contact the motherboard manufacturer.

Mine has been logged with Asus support. I sent info on all of the threads with people having this issue with 3080 Ti, and the troubleshoting steps I and others have done. The latest response from Asus was "...this query has been forwarded internally for further assistance with the given information. We will update shortly with an answer based on the response from our Team."

So {shrug}... who knows. Initially they wanted me to RMA, but we will see what happens next.

Swallowtail23
Level 7
Advice from Asus support:
"caused by monitor resolution being too high, card will only work once booted into Windows. Until Nvidia patches this to accept that video mode, there is nothing we can do"

I have the same problem.

Asus ROG Strix B550-I
EVGA 3080Ti FTW3
LG 38GN950 (3840 x 1600)

BIOS VGA error on displayport (tried multiple cables). No error on HDMI.
No error on 2560 x 1440 via displayport.

My current workaround is to boot with HDMI then swap to displayport.

I'm glad to know this is a firmware problem that can be fixed.

By the way, have you reported this to nvidia?