cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel ABT vs Asus MCE

sl910
Level 7
Hi,

Can anyone explain what is the difference between these two settings in the Asus Maximus Z590 motherboards line

- Asus MCE
- Intel ABT

I am asking this because in my mind, both settings goal is to maximize the ratio multiplier on ALL CORES. So for me, it is almost the same. At the same time enabling ABT gives a huge power consumption increase under stress tests. Enabling MCE also lead to a higher package power consumption but not as high as with ABT. MCE disabled and ABT enabled should be almost the same (performance, Icc, Watts) than MCE enabled and ABT disabled. Isn't it ?

Best regards

sl91
4 REPLIES 4

Zeroed85
Level 8
MCE is more about unlocking the power limits of the CPU. I don't think MCE actually has anything to do with the ratio multiplier. On Z490/Z590 you want MCE set to enabled. Then in Internal CPU power management manually set the short and long package power limits to something like 250W to reduce the power consumption. You can also set a package temperature threshold in here, I set 90. I can't help with ABT unfortunately.

Zeroed85 wrote:
MCE is more about unlocking the power limits of the CPU. I don't think MCE actually has anything to do with the ratio multiplier. On Z490/Z590 you want MCE set to enabled. Then in Internal CPU power management manually set the short and long package power limits to something like 250W to reduce the power consumption. You can also set a package temperature threshold in here, I set 90. I can't help with ABT unfortunately.

Thank you for the answer,

I think that in the auto mode Asus use the value of 90°C for the CPU package temperature as a limit. For me, I have upgraded from Ã* i7-7700K/Maximus IX code, so the gap is huge woncerning the number of settings ! I am still trying to make my new setup as stable as possible. I found out that one of the key settings is the SVID behavior. Regarding to the PL1, PL2 and tau values, I am using the maximum since the limitation (and protection) is provided by the CPU package temp cap (i.e 90°C). By the way, one stess test that I am not able to run but that don't crach the computer is the Aida64 FPU test with the AVX options set to ON. The stress test starts but stops very quickly stating that there is a hardware failure...with no crash or instability observed on the setup. Did you observe this behaviour ? Cinebench R23 and prime 95 test are successful even after several hours of testing.

Regards

sl910

Zeroed85
Level 8
Are you trying to run sync all cores? Per Core? AI controlled? What CPU ratio are you aiming for? Manual voltage or adaptive? SVID - best case will set the AC LL very low and you will likely need a higher LLC level to compensate. Please provide some more details of how you are setting things in the BIOS.

Zeroed85 wrote:
Are you trying to run sync all cores? Per Core? AI controlled? What CPU ratio are you aiming for? Manual voltage or adaptive? SVID - best case will set the AC LL very low and you will likely need a higher LLC level to compensate. Please provide some more details of how you are setting things in the BIOS.

Hi,
I am just trying to be as close as possible to intel specs and guidelines. I am not trying to run sync all cores. The LLC is auto and the value is 3 and for the AC LL, HWINFO show the value 1.1 mohms. Almost all settings are the default ones

Regards

sl910