cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk read - stutter

Zeroed85
Level 8
I'm getting spikes in FPS frametime that seem to occur with a spike of disk read activity. Is it normal for some games to frequently read from the disk and should spikes in disk read cause stuttering? Or might I have an issue with the storage system on my motherboard? I confirmed this behavior happens on an NVme and SATA SSD.
9 REPLIES 9

martine-dee
Level 12
What is the temp of the drive when it does that? If the drive is too hot (there should be an operation temp range in its specs), the PC will stutter and freeze as the traffic gets throttled.
Keep exploring, keep innovating, keep creating

martine-dee wrote:
What is the temp of the drive when it does that? If the drive is too hot (there should be an operation temp range in its specs), the PC will stutter and freeze as the traffic gets throttled.

I don't think it's a temp issue, my SSD's rarely see north of 40-44C. It's simply a stutter in games when a spike in disk read occurs.

martine-dee
Level 12
Ok, the thermals sound all right. I also assume that the disk is reported as healthy.

I am pretty junior at troubleshooting (trying to get better right here and now), and currently I seem to be only available interlocutor. So, here are my thoughts.

There had been reports about stuttering with NVIDIA graphics card drivers. Known workaround is to roll back.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/game-ready-drivers/13/252908/all-games-stuttering-with-f...

It could have also been this windows update. It can also be rolled back (as described in the article).

Looking it up on the web showed that this chap solved something similar with BIOS changes. If I were to follow that, I'd load the optimized bios defaults, or also update the BIOS to the latest version and then load the optimized defaults. Mind ya, this undoes memory OC and a myriad of other settings you might like to keep. What I usually do is take photos of all the changes before I tell the bios to record them and proceed.
Keep exploring, keep innovating, keep creating

BloodBaron
Level 7
Try to close all your extra non essential software before gaming to see if its a app, ex razer synapse, rgb software, browsers, etc. Or if you have a spare SSD install a clean version of windows, boot off that, install gpu drivers, install game to test. That *might* help narrow it down? Also are your system specs up to date?

BloodBaron wrote:
Try to close all your extra non essential software before gaming to see if its a app, ex razer synapse, rgb software, browsers, etc. Or if you have a spare SSD install a clean version of windows, boot off that, install gpu drivers, install game to test. That *might* help narrow it down? Also are your system specs up to date?

I cannot seem to edit my profile, it won't let me edit it. :confused:

Zeroed85 wrote:
I cannot seem to edit my profile, it won't let me edit it. :confused:

oh yea it's weird like that, try https://rog.asus.com/forum/profile.php?do=editprofile

Zeroed85
Level 8
I think this thread at blurbusters talks about what I may be experiencing:

https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?p=57420

Zeroed85
Level 8
Here is an example of how disk read is affecting the frame time. Of course this is while loading into the game and is the heaviest disk read load but the same sort of frame time spikes occur during gameplay to a lesser degree when there are spikes of disk read activity. Is the SATA/PCH subsystem bottlenecking the CPU/GPU?

Zeroed85
Level 8
Thanks @martine-dee I am checking your suggestions out.