cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TPM - Hardware device not connected

Zeroed85
Level 8
XIII Hero. Isn't the TPM hardwired? What is the problem?

15 REPLIES 15

Jesseinsf
Level 10
Zeroed85 wrote:
XIII Hero. Isn't the TPM hardwired? What is the problem?

You have to turn on the feature in BIOS. There is not an actual TPM hardware chip like found in business and some personal PCs and laptops. I will be back with the actual name to the Intel TPM feature.

In BIOS/Advanced/PCH-FW Configuration
Enable PTT (Intel Platform Trust Technology)

This is Intel's version of TPM

Jesseinsf wrote:
You have to turn on the feature in BIOS. There is not an actual TPM hardware chip like found in business and some personal PCs and laptops. I will be back with the actual name to the Intel TPM feature.

In BIOS/Advanced/PCH-FW Configuration
Enable PTT (Intel Platform Trust Technology)

This is Intel's version of TPM

Hmm has the location of this in the BIOS changed? I seemed to have overlooked this. Will check that out later thanks.

Zeroed85 wrote:
Hmm has the location of this in the BIOS changed? I seemed to have overlooked this. Will check that out later thanks.

Actually, looking at the manual, 11th Gen Intel doesn't seem to provide any form of TPM chip. However, there is a header to plug one in. Device manager sees the header but notices that a TPM chip is not connected. You have to buy one. Let me know if you do find PTT in the BIOS?

Jesseinsf wrote:
Actually, looking at the manual, 11th Gen Intel doesn't seem to provide any form of TPM chip. However, there is a header to plug one in. Device manager sees the header but notices that a TPM chip is not connected. You have to buy one. Let me know if you do find PTT in the BIOS?

Which manual are you looking at?

Edit: My XIII Hero manual seems to indicate a TPM must be purchased separately... I will check the BIOS later anyway and let you know.

Zeroed85
Level 8
It's where you said it was... I guess maybe a TPM is hardwired in but I did not enable it yet because my question is: What does it mean if the recovery key or BIOS ROM chip is replaced? Is this a problem when flashing new BIOS's? Should the recovery key be backed up before a BIOS change?

Saltgrass
Level 13
I have always understood a TPM device had to be purchased separately. My Device Manager does not show any Security devices entry (11th Gen).

You can also check msinfo32.exe under Device Encryption Support to see what it shows..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
I have always understood a TPM device had to be purchased separately. My Device Manager does not show any Security devices entry (11th Gen).

You can also check msinfo32.exe under Device Encryption Support to see what it shows..

I haven't enabled PTT in the BIOS yet so what I see in System Info may change. Hoping to get the above questions answered before enabling it.

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
PTT is part of the Intel z590 chipset, not the BIOS.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/196612/intel-z590-chipset.html

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

Saltgrass
Level 13
This thread is going to become very popular. I have an XII and XIII and I am running the Windows Insider on the XII. Because my system did not have a TPM, it was deemed not ready for Windows 11, which was announced today.

Enabling the PTT did allow the XII to pass the check for the TPM ver. 2.0 requirement.

Windows 11 is supposed to be released to the public around Oct. - Nov. 2021.

Edit: I just enabled the PTT on the XIII and it shows as normal. I do not have Bitlocker enabled if that were to make a difference.

Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200