cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C8Hero Memory Upgrade to 64gb 4x16 and Q-Code 22?

78Staff
Level 7
Ok so after upgrading to a 5950, wanting to move from 32gb to 64gb. Purchased some G.Skill Neo's 3600 C16 4x16, but when I mount them I can't boot to the bios, or boot at all. All I am getting is blank screen and Q-Code 22. Running 3601 bios.

Interwebs report code 22 is a memory training code and to let it sit while the board/bios learns the memory, or something to that affect, but doesn't seem to be occurring for me. Not sure how long I would need to let it sit, but I let it go for 10 min or so with no change.

I tried searching here on this board for code 22 but it's hard to search for a specific code due to the "common phrase" search restrictions. Anyway, I had to get it back up to work today so put my ripjaws 4x8 c14's back in and it booted right up. After work today I figure I will start trying again, but wanted to reach out to see if anyone had any suggestions or advise for this 22 code?
7 REPLIES 7

RedSector73
Level 12
Q code 22 is nearly always a memory issue. Try using slots 2 & 4 (from CPU) first rather than all four. see if you get boot with just 2 sticks first than try other two, you may have dud stick (it happens). Also if you get boot with 2 and tested all 4 working in slots 2 & 4, than shut down and see if get boot with all 4.

Make sure you have confirmed the sticks were approved for use as 4 sticks as well, some are only approved for two. Being GSkill RipJaws I kinda doubt they are approved but you never know.

In the early days, the memory controller sometimes needed a little more voltage as well to play with 4 sticks, but training has improved a lot and not needed to do this myself for quite some time now.

Hope you find this helpful.

Ok thanks, the new sticks are Trident Neo's, my current sticks are ripjaws. I will try the 2/4 slot and see if I can get the system to boot.

Edit - OK that seemed to work. I reset bios to optimized defaults (didn't before), shut down, installed two sticks and system booted fine. Added the other two sticks and system booted up fine again. Went into bios adn setup DCOP, etc and so far so good!

Thanks for the assist!

78Staff wrote:
Ok thanks, the new sticks are Trident Neo's, my current sticks are ripjaws. I will try the 2/4 slot and see if I can get the system to boot.

Edit - OK that seemed to work. I reset bios to optimized defaults (didn't before), shut down, installed two sticks and system booted fine. Added the other two sticks and system booted up fine again. Went into bios adn setup DCOP, etc and so far so good!

Thanks for the assist!

Keep in mind that mixing DIMMs often causes problems for most users. This is why most manufacturers recommend you only use matched RAM. Also keep in mind that some manufactures use different dies in some configurations that they sell over periods of time, so keep that mind. 🙂

Having said the above, glad things are working for you.

Daylight_Invader wrote:
Keep in mind that mixing DIMMs often causes problems for most users. This is why most manufacturers recommend you only use matched RAM. Also keep in mind that some manufactures use different dies in some configurations that they sell over periods of time, so keep that mind. 🙂

Having said the above, glad things are working for you.

yep I must have typed something in my initial post that confused folks, I'm not mixing ripjaws and neos - Both sets (previous RipJaws 4x8 set and replacement Neo 4x16) set were purchased as matched 4 dimm kits - no issues there.

RedSector73
Level 12
No problem, glad you got it sorted. 😉

Update to 3601, show qcode 22 error today, 3501 does not have this problem error

ps: I using Gskill Royal 3200 16X4

Sapphire989 wrote:
Update to 3601, show qcode 22 error today, 3501 does not have this problem error

ps: I using Gskill Royal 3200 16X4

try just using slots 2 & 4 first with DOCP, may also want to try manual SOC Voltage of 1.05, 1.1 or 1.15v and see if get sucessful boot. Once you have boot try all four back in.