cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5950x w/ X570 Dark Hero - weird USB Power issues

DarkPhantom
Level 7
Hey folks, like many of us - i've been experiencing rather odd USB power issues.

Window 10 pro, latest update, etc...

BIOS tried: 3501/3601

Running into a rather odd issue with a Fanatec Steering wheel:

When I initially plug it in, works fine - if i start up a game in say steam, the device disconnects (as if there is too much power draw from the port). If I exit the game, it reappears (this is 100% consistent, not a fluke).

Also, if I have a program that draws too much power from the PCIE, it will also take the controller offline until I end that program.

Any solutions to this? I've turned off USB power management in windows but figured there may be a BIOS setting on the C8DH boards?

Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3

RedSector73
Level 12
Figure out what USB you're plugging into. Is it one controlled by CPU or the motherboard and version, then see if using different ones produce same results. Might help with troubleshooting the issue.

Stick to the latest BIOS as recent fixes have been centered around USB issues.

DarkPhantom
Level 7
Okay - so I don't know if this is a temporary work around for now but disabled all the options under device manager to allow pc to shut off device and any power management options for USB/HID devices. I am still seeing the issue but it is occurring more seldom and under only specific instances where programs are drawing all PCIE power (miners are one such program).

DarkPhantom wrote:
Okay - so I don't know if this is a temporary work around for now but disabled all the options under device manager to allow pc to shut off device and any power management options for USB/HID devices. I am still seeing the issue but it is occurring more seldom and under only specific instances where programs are drawing all PCIE power (miners are one such program).

It might be worth opening up a support ticket directly with AMD, as a few weeks ago they were looking for people like you to work on fixes for these issues.

Â*