Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water Block advice requested

HeroClass
Level 7
To whom it may concern,

I have a
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/Workstation/Pro-WS-WRX80E-SAGE-SE-WIFI/

motherboard with a threadripper pro CPU

could you please advise me on what type of water block would be good for this cpu?

i am thinking

https://www.amazon.com/Watercool-HEATKILLER-Threadripper-Copper-Nickel/dp/B07D11GKHJ

Regards
11 REPLIES 11

Braegnok
Level 14
The HeatKiller is a great block, nothing wrong with going with your first choice.

However you might consider looking at the Optimus Absolute as it also is a great block. https://optimuspc.com/products/absolute-cpu-block-threadripper-3

Thank you for the reply sir

I appreciate the suggested part

may i ask why you suggested that part?

is there any performance related reason?

i ask because i am not a fan of the acrylic or RGB - personally i see it, (without fact to back up) that it is a design weakness

where as a solid brass item would be far stronger and lasts longer - if i am wrong please correct me

I have used Optimus blocks on two Intel builds and have seen big performance gains, I would rather avoid making specific claims, rather let other users who also bought Optimus blocks give their experiences. You can check other forums, and find lots of super skeptical people who bought Optimus blocks and saw gains.

The main reason for better performance is entirely up to surface area, it's all about the cold plates and fins.

Personally I spend zero time on LEDs, DRGBs, whatever. Just raw performance, and reliability.

BigJohnny
Level 13
Optimus, EK Magnitude and TechN all get just a bit better than the HKIV pro. They were top dog for awhile. Ive only test Intel versions on HEDT and was running a HKIV pro before newer blocks came out. TechN I just cant get past the look, ugly IMO and I dont like the rough cold plate but they do perform well. The 3 I mentioned are all competitive on a 10980XE. I can call a clear winner as there just wasnt any AHA moment. They all did achieve 3C lower than the HK in Heavy AVX workloads as is out of the box random production samples. Right now Im running the EK Magnitude with a flat cold plate that isnt quite flat and it gets me another 1-2C improvement as did the Optimus Signature V2 with the internal Oring removed reducing the bow. I have an Optimus block I purchased as a Blem with the block itself made for a flatter profile. Im about to give that one a run and see what I get as Im about to tear into my rig AGAIN...putting the GPUs back horizontal to gain access to the buttons on the lower left of my MOBO that are pretty important as well as open up so PCIE slots as the vertical mount blocks all of them. Also going to use one empty slot for my in and out of a MORA3 420 and install the Intel 960GB 905P AIC I just scored that's got all of 8 hours on it for half of retail. Ive been busy as hell with work but I have to get this 905P in and tested out before my 30 day return window closes. Ive had the MORA 3 ready to go for a couple of months now but work went from hardly anything to do to 60 hours being a short week. 76 hours this week. Guess Im gonna have to burn up some PTO days to get it done. Only used 3 days out of my 6 weeks so I have a lot to burn. Probably take off the entire month of July.

@Braenok

Thank you for your reply sir

I am of the same opinion, RGB, and pretty matching colours are not high on my priority list (if at all)

I will consider the optimus blocks but only if i absolutely have to - the plexie glass bothers me.

@BigJonny

Thank you for your reply sir.

I will look into some of those names

@op update

is there any specific socket that i should look out for when selecting a water block for this motherboard?
i am getting different stories

sTRX4
sTR4

is there a place where i could find a list of sockets/water blocks that would fit the motherboard and AMD cpu?

Regards

these forums are quiet...

I have been researching

and i think this will do

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum-magnitude-strx4-copper-acetal

is there anyone that can confirm this will work with the above motherboard?

Although my research has confirmed it will - just a 3rd party advice/confirmation would be nice...

I am going to close this thread due to sufficient input

I will not be checking this thread

thank you to anyone who read this

BigJohnny wrote:
Optimus, EK Magnitude and TechN all get just a bit better than the HKIV pro. They were top dog for awhile. Ive only test Intel versions on HEDT and was running a HKIV pro before newer blocks came out. TechN I just cant get past the look, ugly IMO and I dont like the rough cold plate but they do perform well. The 3 I mentioned are all competitive on a 10980XE. I can call a clear winner as there just wasnt any AHA moment. They all did achieve 3C lower than the HK in Heavy AVX workloads as is out of the box random production samples. Right now Im running the EK Magnitude with a flat cold plate that isnt quite flat and it gets me another 1-2C improvement as did the Optimus Signature V2 with the internal Oring removed reducing the bow. I have an Optimus block I purchased as a Blem with the block itself made for a flatter profile. Im about to give that one a run and see what I get as Im about to tear into my rig AGAIN...putting the GPUs back horizontal to gain access to the buttons on the lower left of my MOBO that are pretty important as well as open up so PCIE slots as the vertical mount blocks all of them. Also going to use one empty slot for my in and out of a MORA3 420 and install the Intel 960GB 905P AIC I just scored that's got all of 8 hours on it for half of retail. Ive been busy as hell with work but I have to get this 905P in and tested out before my 30 day return window closes. Ive had the MORA 3 ready to go for a couple of months now but work went from hardly anything to do to 60 hours being a short week. 76 hours this week. Guess Im gonna have to burn up some PTO days to get it done. Only used 3 days out of my 6 weeks so I have a lot to burn. Probably take off the entire month of July.

I recently swapped my GPU back to horizontal for the exact same reason's, it also makes the PCIE pass through for MORA3 420 simple to connect. A little advice however,.. as I installed the passthrough in bottom PCIE slot, hindsight I wish I had used at least one slot higher up so the fittings & lines were not directly above my PSU,.. inside chassis the lines are exposed to PSU heat and outside lines are just above and in front of PSU exhaust.

Also just wondering about your 905P AIC bench results,.. I'm using M.2 version 905P as my primary, and Samsung 970 Pro as storage. The Intel drive is smoking fast on RND4K vs the Samsung drive, I'm thinking the Intel AIC might show different bench results "faster" than M.2.

Intel M.2:

Samsung M.2:

Good luck with your upgrades, and Enjoy your time off work.