cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help here, unable to RMA due to bent pin Motherboard

Nepty
Level 9
Hi.

I bought ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA 7th of may.
Everything was fine for 1 day, but then after updating the BIOS to beta firmware, the motherboard wouldnt post.
It was stuck on Detecting HDD, black screen etc.. JUST bought i9 10850k Marvel edition so was kind of frustrating.
Because I heard this board was about to stop distribution on my e-tailer, I bought another one to send the other back and get refunded for the faulty board.

I sent it back, my new board has no issues by the way.
Now I get the message that there is 1 faulty/bent pin in the socket and blaming user error.
I havent done damage to it with the CPU or anything.
Talked through the steps taken, and we sort of ended up with the socket protection lid must have hit the pin when returning or it was that from factory assembly.

Now I have two options either repair it or scrap it..... 586 euros/698 dollars.... just down the drain....
I havent used the board more than 1 day and all the problems started when updating the BIOS, thinking it was the BIOS flash module.
After that my game would crash to desktop, kind of odd the pin would suddenly work for 16 hours.. then give errors like black screen.
Have 4790k system, 7700k system and now 10850k system, havent had issues with the pins or sockets before and I'm always careful..

Anyone here from ASUS ROG department that has RMA handling?
Or someone knows what I can do next, it seems so stupid...
MOBO | ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA
CPU | Intel i9-10850K
COOLER | Corsair iCUE H115i ELITE CAPELLIX's)
RAM | G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 64GB 3200Mhz (3800MHz OC) (F4-3200C14D-32GTZR)
GPU |
ASUS ROG Strix LC RTX 4090 OC
HDD |
Kingston FURY Renegade e M.2 2TB
PSU |
ASUS ROG THOR 1200

CASE |
ASUS ROG Strix Helios White
OS |
Windows 11 Pro 64bit

Monitor |
Asus 48'' 4K PG48UQ x2
4 REPLIES 4

BigJohnny
Level 13
Post in the service inquires section ASUS reps actually poke in and look there.

Blake1
Level 10
Hello Nepty,
Can you PM me the product SN or RMA number?
If you have any picture taken before you send the device back, or any communication record between you, the carrier or our local team.
Please share with me as well.
Thank you.

emsir
Level 8
Nepty wrote:
Hi.

I bought ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA 7th of may.
Everything was fine for 1 day, but then after updating the BIOS to beta firmware, the motherboard wouldnt post.
It was stuck on Detecting HDD, black screen etc.. JUST bought i9 10850k Marvel edition so was kind of frustrating.
Because I heard this board was about to stop distribution on my e-tailer, I bought another one to send the other back and get refunded for the faulty board.

I sent it back, my new board has no issues by the way.
Now I get the message that there is 1 faulty/bent pin in the socket and blaming user error.
I havent done damage to it with the CPU or anything.
Talked through the steps taken, and we sort of ended up with the socket protection lid must have hit the pin when returning or it was that from factory assembly.

Now I have two options either repair it or scrap it..... 586 euros/698 dollars.... just down the drain....
I havent used the board more than 1 day and all the problems started when updating the BIOS, thinking it was the BIOS flash module.
After that my game would crash to desktop, kind of odd the pin would suddenly work for 16 hours.. then give errors like black screen.
Have 4790k system, 7700k system and now 10850k system, havent had issues with the pins or sockets before and I'm always careful..

Anyone here from ASUS ROG department that has RMA handling?
Or someone knows what I can do next, it seems so stupid...

First of all. Bent pins never come with new board.....The protective lid can not bent any pins (and if, you have not put the lid on as it should) . The only way is user not seating the CPU right in the socket. That's the only way to bent pins. I back the RMA office 100%. It's a user fault.

You can't blame other for your own mistake or error. You must pay either for a rep or a scrap. Sorry but that's it

Nepty
Level 9
Hi.
I have no pictures of said socket before sending it in.
Took pictures of the computer when building, and when the PC had issues my first thought weren't to check the pins if they were damaged.
This is the picture I sent in the generated Customer Support ticket email, where it showed ''Update did not complete''.

I'm getting the board returned today from postal service, I will add another message with SN of the board.
The images are gone through Google Translate if there are some errors let me know so I can fully translate the segment.
The correspondence was between me and my e-tailer, 1 day after installment.

Some background to what was going on here:

I had my PC on for like 12 hours after installing Windows 10, games and played for 7 hours. Then before bed I updated the BIOS to the newest beta version.
After that my PC was hung on a black screen, didn't respond to flashback, remove the battery, switch the GPU, remove the M.2 drives etc (1 wasn't detected at the bottom slot).

Then I sent a RMA request of the board through their website, returned it, they didn't find any issues... I bought a new motherboard before returning the item since I heard the e-tailer was about to remove the product from their shop. I was then left with 2 boards, one fully functional and the other crashing my games to desktop and doing weird things.
Now I was waiting for the RMA free shipping label, then I get a message a week later telling me the board isn't valid for RMA because of bent pin.
MOBO | ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA
CPU | Intel i9-10850K
COOLER | Corsair iCUE H115i ELITE CAPELLIX's)
RAM | G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 64GB 3200Mhz (3800MHz OC) (F4-3200C14D-32GTZR)
GPU |
ASUS ROG Strix LC RTX 4090 OC
HDD |
Kingston FURY Renegade e M.2 2TB
PSU |
ASUS ROG THOR 1200

CASE |
ASUS ROG Strix Helios White
OS |
Windows 11 Pro 64bit

Monitor |
Asus 48'' 4K PG48UQ x2