cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STRIX B550-i USB-C audio no sound, not detected

tcyr123
Level 7
Hello people,

This is a new PC build and I've ran into issues with the USB-C audio on the B550-i.
After a fresh install of windows 10, The USB-C audio was working fine, I'm able to toggle between Speaker and headphones (connected to USB-C) and there are selections on the Spatial sound for DTS effects.
A few days later, the USB-C audio stopped working completely. It does not detect anything that's plugged in and Realtek Audio Console's USB-C option is greyed out. Device manager does not show any USB-C audio devices as well.
I've looked through this forums for possible solutions and have tried deleted and reinstalling the drivers from https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?117596-DRIVERS-Realtek-Audio-(MB-Intel-2xx-3xx-4xx-5xx-amp... to no avail.
I've tried different BIOS and currently at the latest 2401, and it's not helping either.
Hence I'm looking for assistance here, I'd appreciate any advice.
Thank you.
4 REPLIES 4

MoKiChU
Level 40
Hi,

1) Update your BIOS to the latest (2403) : https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/BIOS/ROG-STRIX-B550-I-GAMING-ASUS-2403.ZIP

ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING BIOS 2403

1. Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.3 Patch A
2. Improve system stability

2) Update your AMD Chipset Drivers from the first post of this thread : [DRIVERS] AMD Chipset/SATA (3xx/4xx/5xx/TRX40)

3) You have an ASUS ROG SS3|DTS Sound Unbound motherboard, so :

You need Realtek Audio Drivers (UAD - ASUS ROG SS3-DTS MB) from the first post of this thread : [DRIVERS] Realtek Audio (MB | Intel 2xx/3xx/4xx/5xx/6xx & AMD 3xx/4xx/5xx).

Follow scrupulously your CLEANUP process then your INSTALL process, for the next drivers packages that I would release, you will can directly follow your UPDATE process.

Hi MoKiChU,

I appreciate the quick reply and have followed the steps exactly as you've stated.
However, the problem still persists.
USB-C audio does not work and does not detect my headphones when plugged in.
My playback devices currently are Realtek(R) Audio (speaker), Sonic Studio Virtual Mixer (Completely useless, not sure where the sound output is coming out from) and Nvidia High Def Audio.
I'm not sure if its a hardware problem because it did work at the start when I just completed the build.
Are more potential solutions that I can try?

Thank you! I just bought a headset and couldn't work out why it only worked with the microphone using the USB-C to 3.5mm adapter.

- B550-E (BIOS 2423)
- Windows 11

Asus doesn't list audio drivers for Windows 11, but the ones you listed work great and audio switches within Windows without any noticeable issues.

MoKiChU wrote:
Hi,

1) Update your BIOS to the latest (2403) : https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/BIOS/ROG-STRIX-B550-I-GAMING-ASUS-2403.ZIP

2) Update your AMD Chipset Drivers from the first post of this thread : [DRIVERS] AMD Chipset/SATA (3xx/4xx/5xx/TRX40)

3) You have an ASUS ROG SS3|DTS Sound Unbound motherboard, so :

You need Realtek Audio Drivers (UAD - ASUS ROG SS3-DTS MB) from the first post of this thread : [DRIVERS] Realtek Audio (MB | Intel 2xx/3xx/4xx/5xx & AMD 3xx/4xx/5xx).

Follow scrupulously your CLEANUP process then your INSTALL process, for the next drivers packages that I would release, you will can directly follow your UPDATE process.
AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
ASUS ROG Strix B550-E (the worst motherboard I've owned in 25 years)
Corsair H150i Pro XT 360mm
32GB Corsair VENGEANGE LPX 3600MHz CL18
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Hybrid w/ 280mm radiator
M.2 WD 1TB SN550 | 2 * WD Blue 1TB SATA | 2 * Toshiba N300 8TB | 400TB on a 48-bay Supermicro server
Corsair RM850X
Fractal Meshify 2
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro

MoKiChU
Level 40