cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 11 TPM 2.0 and Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

valant
Level 7
How can I enable or update to TPM 2.0 , so I can install Windows 11 ?
34 REPLIES 34

claudej
Level 7
Probably you can't.
It seems I can't...
No TPM option in Bios nor TPM header on my motherboard

claudej wrote:
Probably you can't.
It seems I can't...
No TPM option in Bios nor TPM header on motherboard

Bummer. Absolute Bummer.

neiljwd wrote:
Bummer. Absolute Bummer.
You can indeed install tpm 2 by adding a tpm module. They are available on ebay. However you still cannot upgrade to win11 as the I7 6700k is not on their approved list. Very sad. I have it as well and installed TPM 2.

jf2000 wrote:
You can indeed install tpm 2 by adding a tpm module. They are available on ebay. However you still cannot upgrade to win11 as the I7 6700k is not on their approved list. Very sad. I have it as well and installed TPM 2.

I think I know the answer but there is no way to get a windows 11 authorized CPU for this motherboard? I think we were near the cutover?
I wasn't even aware you could add a TPM 2.0 board? What does it plug into?

BJB

claudej
Level 7
Oh no ! you can
You have a TPM header, you just need to find such a fitting TPM module

RedSector73
Level 12
Windows 11 finial release version won't require TPM. So if you have not needed one till now, you won't need one in the future.

RedSector73 wrote:
Windows 11 finial release version won't require TPM. So if you have not needed one till now, you won't need one in the future.

Can you link to a Microsoft statement confirming this? You are free to speculate but do not state it as a fact unless there is official confirmation.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Can you link to a Microsoft statement confirming this? You are free to speculate but do not state it as a fact unless there is official confirmation.

No I cant, it appears my information on this is incorrect.

Did find this article, but it confirms TPM 2.0
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3623013/why-windows-11-requires-a-tpm-for-your-pc.html

Knowing the differences between a TPM 1.0 chip and a TPM 2.0 chip aren’t really necessary for the enthusiast PC owner, but Microsoft points out several differences: TPM 2.0 supports more sophisticated cryptographic algorithms, provides a more standardized experience, and, most importantly, can be integrated into a CPU.

In a Twitter post on Thursday, Weston pointed out that almost every CPU in the last five years includes a TPM, either called the Intel PTT, or the AMD PSP fTPM. Microsoft has required such a TPM to certify PCs since at least 2015. However, you may need to go into your BIOS and enable that functionality. Robert Hallock, director of technical marketing at AMD, also noted that most PCs already support a first-gen TPM.

Editor's Note: Microsoft removed the "soft floor" mentioned earlier in this article. This means that the TPM 1.0 has been removed from the minimum requirements, and only TPM 2.0 PCs will be eligible for Windows 11.

Another article
https://au.pcmag.com/components/87878/what-is-a-tpm-and-why-do-i-need-one-for-windows-11

or you could do this and get around it

This is totally unrelated to any Operating System, but I've been trying to find out why my Z170-A + Intel Core i7-6700K BIOS 3802 has no PTT in the BIOS (there's no PCH-FW either).