cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z97 and TPM support

markzolotoy
Level 7
I have a Z97-A motherboard and I just updated the BIOS, still dont see a TPM support. Is it possible to upgrade my MB to have it?

Thanks
12 REPLIES 12

dingo99
Level 10
Z97-A has a physical TPM header, so you'd need to buy a module and install it there. That said, if you're thinking about Windows 11, you may still be out of luck because ASUS never updated that board's BIOS to support TPM 2.0. You'd be able to activate TPM 1.2 at most.

Only a few select older boards, like Sabertooth Z87, received an updated BIOS for TPM 2.0 (ASUS TPM-L module). Sadly, my Maximus VI Formula also did not get the update.

Is TPM 1.2 enough for W11?

markzolotoy wrote:
Is TPM 1.2 enough for W11?

Yes 🙂

Anyone using the 3503 bios for this board? Any luck with TPM 1.2 on this bios?

dingo99
Level 10
Originally, Microsoft's documentation said that TPM 1.2 would be allowed as a "soft floor" requirement for W11, but within the past day they removed that statement completely and only mention TPM 2.0 as being mandatory. So, for now, it seems that TPM 1.2 might not be enough.

I see. seems like it's time to get a new MB. Would you recommend one that is going to work with W11? And also what about CPU? I have Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz 4.00 GHz. Will that work?

markzolotoy wrote:
I see. seems like it's time to get a new MB. Would you recommend one that is going to work with W11? And also what about CPU? I have Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz 4.00 GHz. Will that work?

AMD Ryzen (tested on first gen 1800x to current gen) with TPM firmware hardware enabled in BIOS B350, CH6 & CH8. Dont keep up with / follow Intel anymore, but cant see that any current processors would not work.

RedSector73
Level 12
TPM won't be required for finial version of Windows 11. Only required for non released version, currently available.

When I run PC Health Check now it says that my Processor isn't supported. I think it wasn't that specific a day ago. can I upgrade my MB to the compatible processor?