cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which TPM module is the correct one to buy?

ultralazyway
Level 7
I have the Maximus XIII Hero but I suspect this applies to other boards as well (ROG STRIX Z590, PRIME Z590)
Yes I know there's a FW based TPM option in the BIOS (Intel PTT), but I prefer to have actual HW over FW emulation when I have the option. So I want to get the physical TPM module.

The manual shows a 14+1 pin TPM module which after a bit of looking around... I believe based on the number of pins and the way its keyed the TPM_SPI module that ASUS sells is what's compatible with my MB. Only...

The MB manual contains this diagram (attachment 1) and the module manual contains this other diagram (attachment 2),

It doesn't help that the diagrams are not consistently oriented, but if you rotate one of them... I noticed a couple things...
1. what's labeled pin 1 is different...
2. All the (not-not-connected(NC)) pins line up... except for 2 (IRQ and CS pin)... they're swapped...

1. might just be a documentation difference, that in itself isn't an issue... as long as all the pins line up
2. is a bit more alarming... Is one of the diagrams just wrong? Maybe these two pins are supposed to cross-connect? Do I have the wrong module?
9 REPLIES 9

Saltgrass
Level 13
There are several threads about this already. It has been pointed out the XIII has an option in the Bios Advanced Section PCH-FW option to enable the PTT. If you find it you can do that and when I enabled mine, the test was passed.

That being said, I will not know for sure that will work until I get Win 11 next week. One does have to wonder, if the Bios has the capability, why did they add a slot to the motherboard? Possibly, a newer version of the TPM will be released and that slot will keep the motherboard current.

Let us know if you find the option..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

TheDude23112
Level 8
This needs to be followed...

CFIIMEI
Level 7
ultralazyway wrote:
I have the Maximus XIII Hero but I suspect this applies to other boards as well (ROG STRIX Z590, PRIME Z590)
Yes I know there's a FW based TPM option in the BIOS (Intel PTT), but I prefer to have actual HW over FW emulation when I have the option. So I want to get the physical TPM module.

The manual shows a 14+1 pin TPM module which after a bit of looking around... I believe based on the number of pins and the way its keyed the TPM_SPI module that ASUS sells is what's compatible with my MB. Only...

The MB manual contains this diagram (attachment 1) and the module manual contains this other diagram (attachment 2),

It doesn't help that the diagrams are not consistently oriented, but if you rotate one of them... I noticed a couple things...
2. All the (not-not-connected(NC)) pins line up... except for 2 (IRQ and CS pin)... they're swapped...

1. might just be a documentation difference, that in itself isn't an issue... as long as all the pins line up
2. is a bit more alarming... Is one of the diagrams just wrong? Maybe these two pins are supposed to cross-connect? Do I have the wrong module?
Â*

I went through the same thing with ASUS, it took about 8 people to finally confirm thats the right TPM for my XIII Hero, I ordered one and installed it last night and it appears to have been recognized.

CFIIMEI wrote:
Â*

I went through the same thing with ASUS, it took about 8 people to finally confirm thats the right TPM for my XIII Hero, I ordered one and installed it last night and it appears to have been recognized.

Thank you! You were actually able to get ahold of someone to ask the question! I guess they never commented on whether the diagram was wrong for the module or for the motherboard(s)?

I've ordered mine as well. Now I wait for delivery truck...

Saltgrass
Level 13
I found the site below which describes TPM and PTT very well. It is a Third Party site so be careful.

https://www.onlogic.com/company/io-hub/intel-platform-trust-technology-ptt-tpm-for-the-masses/
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Jesseinsf
Level 10
ultralazyway wrote:

If you can find it in stock. CDW usually has it. As of right now it's back ordered and the scalpers are having a field day.
TPM-SPI|Motherboards|ASUS USA

74lobster
Level 10
Someone can post a link where we can actually find and buy this TPM module ?

Which are the differences between these 2 TPM modules ?

Asus TPM-M R2.0 Hardware Security Chip – Metallic

90MC03W0-M0XBN1

ASUS TPM SPI Modul, Securely Store Keys, Data Passwords, 14-1 Pin, SPI Interface, Nuvoton NPCT750 Chip

90MC07D0-M0XBN0

Thanks in advance.
74lobster

74lobster wrote:
Someone can post a link where we can actually find and buy this TPM module ?

Which are the differences between these 2 TPM modules ?

Asus TPM-M R2.0 Hardware Security Chip – Metallic

90MC03W0-M0XBN1

ASUS TPM SPI Modul, Securely Store Keys, Data Passwords, 14-1 Pin, SPI Interface, Nuvoton NPCT750 Chip

90MC07D0-M0XBN0

Thanks in advance.

Long story short, its interface/protocol difference between the chips. Interface determines if something will physically fit. Protocol can be thought of like "language", the board and the TPM chip must speak to same language in order to be compatible.

Asus TPM-M R2.0 uses LPC for protocol. Note how the key pin (the pin missing) is 3rd from the end
ASUS TPM SPI uses SPI for protocol. Note how the key pin is on the end.

Every board is only compatible with a specific TPM chip, you have to determine which one your board needs.

ultralazyway wrote:
Long story short, its interface/protocol difference between the chips. Interface determines if something will physically fit. Protocol can be thought of like "language", the board and the TPM chip must speak to same language in order to be compatible.

Asus TPM-M R2.0 uses LPC for protocol. Note how the key pin (the pin missing) is 3rd from the end
ASUS TPM SPI uses SPI for protocol. Note how the key pin is on the end.

Every board is only compatible with a specific TPM chip, you have to determine which one your board needs.

Hi, I have the Maximus XIII Hero mobo, which is the correct TPM module I must buy ?

Have you got a link where I can find it available to buy ?

Thanks in advance.
74lobster