cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG Crosshair Viii Impact Bios Help

AIRic
Level 7
Hello! I just built my new system the other day and I do understand that most would say that a 120mm AIO isn't good enough for a Ryzen 9 5900x.
I believe it is. My situation is that with Ryzen Master I can lock all of my cores to 4.3ghz at 1.1v and it's stable and temps never really exceed 60c (unless doing stress tests but realistically for what I do it'd never go beyond 65c)

When I go to the bios I believe my system is thermally throttling because the voltage is always 1.4v+ and that when the temps reach 60c+ my system shuts down in a sense, The screen goes black after the bios freezes and all of my LED's are still on but I can't do or see anything until I restart the system.
so with that being said it's generally a race against time to mess with settings in the bios but even when I go to the bios I'm generally a little confused
since Ryzen master is a little easier to use. But I would personally love to be able to set it in my bios that I can have my cpu locked in at 1.1v with all cores to 4.3ghz.

My specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
MB: Asus Rog Crosshair Viii impact
CPU Cooler: Asus Ryou 120mm AIO
GPU: Asus Rog Strix 2080ti OC
Ram: 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600mhz
20 REPLIES 20

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

Do you receive a CPU Over Temp error upon rebooting? The UEFI will put some load on the CPU intentionally.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

Do you receive a CPU Over Temp error upon rebooting? The UEFI will put some load on the CPU intentionally.

I actually don't think I receive an error at all. unless the error is on the q-code on the back io of the motherboard.
I'll let it happen again real quick and see what the q-code led says and udate you!

Edit:
I got a D6 or 06(hard to tell when it's at an angle) error on the Q-code LED when it froze and went black.

I used TPU 1 and it actually did what I was after 1.1v but at 4.2ghz instead of 4.3. so my dumb self goes back in and changes it to 4.3ghz and it froze and (assumingly gave me the D6 error again) but I managed to hit enter and it saved the 4.3ghz change when I logged back into my windows. but it actually bumped the voltage to 1.2v (which is fine I guess)

But I do find it to be an issue that I can't be in the bios for more than 30-60 seconds.

I also got a 4d Q-code error but I actually couldn't find that in my manual at all.

Edit 2:

BIO's still having issues but I did recieve a 0d code a minute ago.

RedSector73
Level 12
06 is failure when microcode is loading, assuming it reset or got stuck.
D6 is No Console Output Devices are found.
0d is memory training error.

4d might have been 40 which is normal code nothing to worry about normally if 40

Your whole train of thought in your first post is way off about voltages for the CPU. LEAVE the CPU on auto. Stop setting frequency, are you coming from Intel system to ryzen ?
If your worried about 120mm not being enough, double the fans in push/pull on the radiator. I've used 120mm before to cool 150w+ TDP CPU Intel heat beast from first round I7 CPU's years ago.

RedSector73 wrote:
06 is failure when microcode is loading, assuming it reset or got stuck.
D6 is No Console Output Devices are found.
0d is memory training error.

4d might have been 40 which is normal code nothing to worry about normally if 40

So right now I've had my computer on all night with the game that I generally play, Firefox, discord, hwmonitor and spotify all open.

bios are still set to tpu 1 with the clocks of all cores locked to 4.3ghz at 1.2v and temps are still stable

value is between 49-52c
min was 46c
and max was 60c

Right now I'm more or less concerned with what's going on because I would like to be able to play around in the bios eventually.
before trying anything at all, I would occasionally get these issues in windows where my monitors would say no display port detected and the screen would go black but all of the LED's inside the system would remain on. then I started the undervolting with ryzen master and it stopped, except for when I'd go to the bios to try to set the undervolt through the bios.

if my message seems like it's all over the place I apoligize I just woke up..

RedSector73
Level 12
No, I am just not sure why you have gone to overclocking/undervolting, was the system stable before you started this path ?

Also, 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600mhz, (suspect is source issue) what is it, need the model and the actual version number (the version is a sticker on the ram normally) please.

Are you running latest BIOS ?

RedSector73 wrote:
No, I am just not sure why you have gone to overclocking/undervolting, was the system stable before you started this path ?

Also, 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600mhz, (suspect is source issue) what is it, need the model and the actual version number (the version is a sticker on the ram normally) please.

Are you running latest BIOS ?

cmt32gx4m2d3600c18
3600mhz 18-22-22-42 1.35v
ver 3.31

I believe I am still updated to the latest bios, I can't remember if I did a cmos flashback or not or even if that would reset it to the previous bios version or not.

The system was somewhat stable I guess before doing the undervolting. I'm not 100% sure all I do know is occasionally it would ramp itself up and hit 80+ C

RedSector73
Level 12
Ok, so save your current setup in case you want to go back to it at some time in the future.

Then, if we go back to system default and in the BIOS you select DOCP 3600, save & exit

Example

Then if you're occasionally see 80+ temp, and you are 100% stable, than not sure why you are changing anything. This is within normal operation of CPU which has Max Temp of 90°C before it would throttle.

The 120mm will heat soak faster than larger radiator, if you were to add push pull fans, I have found in the past it helps reduce this type of issue.

RedSector73 wrote:
Ok, so save your current setup in case you want to go back to it at some time in the future.

Then, if we go back to system default and in the BIOS you select DOCP 3600, save & exit

Example

Then if you're occasionally see 80+ temp, and you are 100% stable, than not sure why you are changing anything. This is within normal operation of CPU which has Max Temp of 90°C before it would throttle.

The 120mm will heat soak faster than larger radiator, if you were to add push pull fans, I have found in the past it helps reduce this type of issue.

So at first it didn't want to use the DOCP and then I finally got it to do it. then I had the bios back to default settings as well and did a performance test by passmark. quickly hit 90c during the test but did not shut down.

I reset the hwmonitor min max's and loaded a simple game (Maplestory) left it running over night and my temps capped out at 88c but generally while actually playing was more or less around 60-75c.

for the most part it seems my temps range between 44c-75c

I haven't tried any of my more intensive games yet but will report back with the results for those.
Also my bios still freezes so I'm not sure what to do about that.

Edit:
Overwatch tends to have a 70c temp with spikes into the 80's
Rainbow Six: Siege tends to run 75-85c during their benchmark test.

I left earlier to go to the store and came back to hwmonitor saying my pc spiked to 91c at some point.
is there any reason to not switch to tpu 1 mode? just curious.
Also my bios is still freezing and giving me the 0d code. I was just going in to try to adjust my fan curve to turbo. I wanted to do a custom fan curve but I can't seem to get enough time to do so.

Edit 2:
Windows still seems stable with the default settings + the docp settings (ram only had 1 docp setting)
Still freezes when I go to the bios then the screen goes black (LED's in the system are still on) and my Q-Code LED still says 0d

RedSector73
Level 12
The DOCP was just an example from x470 system taken off the internet, my ram only has one DOCP setting as well.

So, 0d is memory training error. The memory controller is on the CPU and its power can be controlled manually. You could you try setting manual SOC Value, 1.05v or 1.1v and see if this gets the issue resolved.