cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TPM - What happen when ON

goralpm
Level 7
Hi
I check my compatibility with Windows 11.
And Microsoft says, I need TPM to install Win11.
I reed, that my motherboard TUF Z390-PLUS GAMING (WI-FI) use Intel chip with PTT (recognise by Windos11 as TPM)
My question is:
What happen when I switch ON PTT on existing PC?
Do I need reinstall currently existing Windows10?
Do my Windows will boot as normal?

I quite confusing on this issue.
So I will be more them happy if someone will explain this for me.
Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

Grimpak
Level 8
goralpm wrote:
Hi
I check my compatibility with Windows 11.
And Microsoft says, I need TPM to install Win11.
I reed, that my motherboard TUF Z390-PLUS GAMING (WI-FI) use Intel chip with PTT (recognise by Windos11 as TPM)
My question is:
What happen when I switch ON PTT on existing PC?
Do I need reinstall currently existing Windows10?
Do my Windows will boot as normal?

I quit confusing on this issue.
So I will be more them happy if someone will explain this for me.
Thanks.

nothing should happen, at least visibly, so you should be fine.

Thanks for reply.
One more question.
I try enabling Intel PTT in BIOS.
And I have this warning:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notice
Intel® PTT is a hardware TPM 2.0 implementation integrated in Intel® ME/CSME/TXE for credential storage and key management. The firmware TPM key will be stored in Intel® ME data region once you enable Intel® PTT and Windows® BitLocker for drive encryption.Please note that when the recovery key is lost or when the BIOS ROM chip is replaced, the system will not boot into the operating system and the data will stay encrypted and cannot be restored.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, just for clarity. If I enable PTT and my motherboard will be Brocken, it means I will loos all data?
Or enabling PTT is just give additional option for scramble data on my HDD? If I not scrambled (not using for example BitLocker) it will be no effects at all?

I just not quite understand how is works. I don't wont use right now any scramble on my HDD like BitLocker.

goralpm wrote:
Thanks for reply.
One more question.
I try enabling Intel PTT in BIOS.
And I have this warning:

Notice
Intel® PTT is a hardware TPM 2.0 implementation integrated in Intel® ME/CSME/TXE for credential storage and key management. The firmware TPM key will be stored in Intel® ME data region once you enable Intel® PTT and Windows® BitLocker for drive encryption.Please note that when the recovery key is lost or when the BIOS ROM chip is replaced, the system will not boot into the operating system and the data will stay encrypted and cannot be restored.

So, just for clarity. If I enable PTT and my motherboard will be Brocken, it means I will loos all data?
Or enabling PTT is just give additional option for scramble data on my HDD? If I not scrambled (not using for example BitLocker) it will be no effects at all?

I just not quite understand how is works. I don't wont use right now any scramble on my HDD like BitLocker.

Hi,

No. Enabling TPM 2.0 does not in any way require you to encrypt your drive with BitLocker (it gives you the ability to do it, but it don't do it).

BigJohnny
Level 13
The only thing that will happend is a pop up will tell you about TPM then when you reboot
Win+r type in tpm.msc and you should see this and will pass the win 11 test.

Jesseinsf
Level 10
I thought that this is the best explanation:

TPM (Trusted Platform Module) is a computer chip (microcontroller) that can securely store artifacts used to authenticate the platform (your PC or laptop). These artifacts can include passwords, certificates, or encryption keys. A TPM can also be used to store platform measurements that help ensure that the platform remains trustworthy. Authentication (ensuring that the platform can prove that it is what it claims to be) and attestation (a process helping to prove that a platform is trustworthy and has not been breached) are necessary steps to ensure safer computing in all environments.
Trusted modules can be used in computing devices other than PCs, such as mobile phones or network equipment.