cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2080 vs 2080ti Idle Temperatures

Super_Gnome
Level 11
I have two very similar rigs with relatively comparable builds (that is, similar airflow, cases and fans, similar CPUs, identical AOI coolers, etc). One has two 2080s in SLI and the other two 2080tis in SLI. It seems very odd that the lesser of the set, the 2080s idle at around 34 degrees while the 2080tis idle at around 40 degrees in the exact same environment. In both cases the cards are Asus Turbo cards that run GPU Tweak II software with the fan settings identical in both cases.

Can anyone explain why this is and/or how to get the idle temperature of the 2080tis down?

Edit: HWMonitor is also showing the GPU power draw for the 2080ti pair as being abnormally high at idle.
11 REPLIES 11

RedSector73
Level 12
2080s uses 3072 CUDA cores, has 8GB GDDR6 on 256-bit interface for a 250w draw.
2080ti uses 4352 CUDA cores, has 11GB GDDR6 on 352-bit interface for a 260w draw.

All of your posts seem like you have no idea how things work.
They are not same thing, you want performance cooling of 2080s than why did you buy 2080ti ?

RedSector73 wrote:
2080s uses 3072 CUDA cores, has 8GB GDDR6 on 256-bit interface for a 250w draw.
2080ti uses 4352 CUDA cores, has 11GB GDDR6 on 352-bit interface for a 260w draw.

All of your posts seem like you have no idea how things work.
They are not same thing, you want performance cooling of 2080s than why did you buy 2080ti ?

Sorry to anger you. I am not an engineer. But I have built three computers and the first I built in 2011 still runs fine and even runs at 4k resolution while gaming no problem. That is because I like to take care of my hardware. This is why I ask.

As for how things work. It makes no sense that while a computer is idle 2080ti cards should be running six or more degrees hotter than 2080 cards with virtually the same design, the same case and fan set up and the exact same ambient temperature.

As for your question about buying 2080tis, I have one rig with 2080s and one with 2080tis.

Sorry you have no understanding of systems with good designs vs bad ones and related issues or how to deal with heat problems or concerns. Sorry the idea of a component not running hot when it is doing very little (this is what the word "IDLE" means--which is also literally when GPU utilization is at 1 or 2%) is beyond your comprehension.

Have a nice day.

I would also add that I am running 4k. However, the power draw from the main 2080ti card is 40 watts at idle (the secondary card is at 20 watts). On the other rig with the 2080s the power draw is 20 watts from the main card and 10 from the secondary card. Note this is with the same 4k monitor.

The first card, the 2080ti drawing 40 watts at idle seems to be drawing an incredibly high power rate at idle. According to other data I have found from another user his power draw at idle with one 2080ti with two monitors at 60 refresh rate (the same as mine), one a 4k monitor, and the other a standard size one was showing as 25 watts, which is a lot lower.

So the question is, why is the power draw of my 2080tis so high at idle? And how can that be reduced?

Super_Gnome
Level 11
Also, this chart shows that typically at idle, a 2080ti has lower raw power draw than a 2080. That's right a lower raw power draw. So why are my 2080tis drawing double the power of the 2080s at idle? The power draw should be lower, not double.

Excuse the highlighting. It is not relevant.

RedSector73
Level 12
Lol, angering me. I provided you information based on std specification of the part given, you do with that whatever you want.

Reduce consumption, unplug them should work nicely.

Super_Gnome
Level 11
But multiple articles explicitly show and test 2080 cards vs 2080ti cards. At idle their power draw is very similar. So why is HWMonitor showing that my main 2080ti is drawing 40 watts at idle and my 2080 is drawing about 20 watts at idle? This is extremely strange. It is a huge discrepancy that is not in line with what multiple articles explain and show with tests.

Super_Gnome
Level 11
Here are images that show the discrepancy after about 15 minutes at idle. Note the huge differences in wattage. Remember that the numbers ought to be very similar from the 2080s to the 2080tis at idle. There are multiple articles where tests are done that show this. Here is one example: https://www.anandtech.com/show/14663/the-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-super-review/15

RedSector73
Level 12
You're showing 2080 (not super) vs 2080ti which is

2080 uses 2944 CUDA cores, has 8GB GDDR6 on 256-bit interface for a 225w draw.

RedSector73 wrote:
You're showing 2080 (not super) vs 2080ti which is

2080 uses 2944 CUDA cores, has 8GB GDDR6 on 256-bit interface for a 225w draw.

Did you even look at the linked article? There are multiple articles that show the idle power draw between a 2080 vs a 2080 ti and temperatures ought to be similar at idle.

I mean if you own a Ferrari should you sit at a stoplight with it in neutral and your foot 25% to the mat with the engine revved up to 25% when you are not even moving? It makes no sense. And besides, even if my cards for some inane reason are typically revved up at idle, that is not in line with multiple articles that show this should not be the case and causes undue wear and tear on the components.

The fans are also noisy at idle and the case is literally pumping a ton of hot air into the room when the ambient temperature is already 30 degrees. It is very annoying that it does this when browsing or even with no browser or windows open at all. Also, the wasteful power consumption adds up over time and in reality contributes to environmental problems via undue greenhouse gas emission via power generation.

I would also add that you are merely pointing to the capacity for these cards to perform at high levels. But that is only the capacity, and the cards should not be revved up at idle with the load extremely low.

Edit: Incidentally, I have posted with this issue on other forums and have been told I do have an issue--and that there is some kind of bug at play.