cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VIII Formula +3950x + 2080 ti SLI = Blast Heater at Idle

Super_Gnome
Level 11
So I have this system as noted in the title and the thing literally pumps a ton of heat into my home at idle. It seems as though there is little that can be done to somehow stop this heat factory from acting like a blast heater. But I made this post hoping I am wrong. If you know of any way to lower the GPU power draw or otherwise, please help.

What I have done to try to tone down the heat dump (with no real change):

1. Used Tweak II to lower/limit the power draw of my GPUs to 40% of maximum.
2. Installed a new AIO cooler hoping that would at least increase the airflow and cooling in the system--but as expected this did nothing to lower the heat this thing pumps into my home.
3. Changed the Windows CPU power settings to slow down the CPU (namely to Balanced vs High Performance).
4. Made a number of threads on various forums to try to pin down if the GPU idle power draw--which is 40+ watts minimum on the main CPU plus another 20+ watts on the second card can be fixed as it is a lot higher than what others report with 2080 ti cards.
5. Limited FPS and other settings in Tweak II and also in any games whenever possible.
6. Used Nvidia Control Panel to set Power Management Mode to "Adaptive."

However none of these have gotten me anywhere, and have only convinced me to simply not power on this heat pumper of a rig in summer.

Thanks in advance if you know of ways to safely lower the heat being pumped into my home that continues even when this thing is at idle.
0 REPLIES 0