cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU not detected in BIOS (but it is in Windows) with ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI

petholla
Level 8
Hi,

My 8 years old PC died the other day so I decided to finally move to a m.2 capable config and picked a 'ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI' motherboard. I only kept the PSU (600W CoolerMaster) and the GPU (GIGABYTE NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080) from the old setup, everything else (CPU: 10700K, memory: 2x16G DDR4, m.2 system drive) is new otherwise.

Interestingly once I put everything together and moved the GPU the PC turned on but then got stuck with a d6 Q code. I looked it up in the manual and said it could not found an output device. I then tried with a GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 but that didn't work either. I didn't had a boot device set up at this point because I wanted to have a fresh install on the m.2. If I connected my monitor to the on board output then I could finally see the BIOS and everything. I then connected the old SSD and booted up the old Windows install and surprisingly in Windows it could detect and use the NVIDIA card.

I did a lot of Googling and did find the graphics to be set to use the CPU video in the BIOS but even after changing it to PCIE it didn't seem to make a difference and the next time I found it set back to CPU. I tried replacing the PSU to a 750W one in case it wasn't getting enough power at boot time but that didn't work either.

Any idea what can be wrong here? Could it be just a setting or the mb can be faulty?

Thanks,
Peter
11 REPLIES 11

morph_
Level 11
Are you running any riser cable?

Hard set the pcie generation to 3.0 in the bios.

Hi,

I'm using standard 3ft long DP cables. Same cable was used to connect to the CPU VGA and that works.

I've set it to Gen3 but no difference.

Thanks,
Peter

Have you tried the other GPU slot for testing purposes?

I've tried slot 2 with the 1080 card but only tried slot 1 with the 1070 one but no combination worked so far.

petholla wrote:
I've tried slot 2 with the 1080 card but only tried slot 1 with the 1070 one but no combination worked so far.

I'm smelling a manufacturer compatibility issue. If this isn't true then the motherboard is a dud.

I opened a case with ASUS and they recommended to do a bunch of reseats, restarts, BIOS updates, etc which I have all done already and then to return the mobo if it was still not working so I did and got an MSI one with the same chipset and it has the same issue. Is it possible that these video cards (both are about 5 years old,
both GIGABYTE (GTX 1080 and 1070) cards don't like the Z590 chipset for some reason? The weird thing is that once Windows is up with it's own driver everything works as expected.

I found the issue! I had a hunch that it might be something about the video card firmware and after some googling I found an nvidia page about older cards not being compatible with DP1.3 and DP1.4 and that 'Without the update, systems that are connected to a DisplayPort 1.3 / 1.4 monitor could experience blank screens on boot until the OS loads, or could experience a hang on boot.' which is exactly what my issue was! After I updated the f/w I can get to the BIOS as expected! I just wanted to share this for the archives in case anyone will have the same issue in the future. See the nvidia link below.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

Thanks,
Peter

petholla wrote:
I found the issue! I had a hunch that it might be something about the video card firmware and after some googling I found an nvidia page about older cards not being compatible with DP1.3 and DP1.4 and that 'Without the update, systems that are connected to a DisplayPort 1.3 / 1.4 monitor could experience blank screens on boot until the OS loads, or could experience a hang on boot.' which is exactly what my issue was! After I updated the f/w I can get to the BIOS as expected! I just wanted to share this for the archives in case anyone will have the same issue in the future. See the nvidia link below.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

Thanks,
Peter

Where's that upvote button?! :cool:

Thanks lot, i have been solving that problem now 4 days and that solved my problem 🙂