cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rog Strix G15 Advantage Edition Panel Overdrive Not Supported

michaelkm
Level 8
I bought this laptop about a month ago and Panel Overdrive worked for two week, but then the option went grayed out and I could not turn it back on. I contact Asus customer support and per Asus "Tech Support": " In the latest Armoury Crate version 2.6.0 and higher the Panel Overdrive ON/OFF function has been removed. " and also " Sadly I am not seeing your model in the list of supported models. This is BS first of all because it did work with version 4.1.6.0. Can anyone let me know if their advantage edition panel overdrive is working? Any ideas on what's wrong with mine?
7 REPLIES 7

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Welcome to the forums!

If you are referring to the Best Buy G513QY-212.SG15 model, we have a unit available for testing and the sticker on the screen bezel mentions "300Hz 3ms" so if you have not removed yours yet, wondering if you may want to mention that to ASUS customer support, but if they check your notebook serial number, they should also see that it includes a 300Hz screen.

==============

Anyway, to answer your question our G513QY-212.SG15 test unit with Armoury Crate v4.0.10.0 does have the option for Panel Overdrive available as long as we are on AC power, so make sure the AC adapter is plugged in and please confirm the Armoury Crate version you are currently running.

If you are still having problems, make sure you don't see any updates for Armoury Crate as well as MyASUS which may have some Armoury Crate updates once in a while.

=============

Not sure if you want to uninstall and reinstall Armoury Crate, but that is one idea and there is an Armoury Crate uninstall utility under the Armoury Crate downloads you can try as well, so let me know if you want any help to find it.

Try to restart Windows as well if you normally just shutdown and power on.

cl-Albert@ROG wrote:
Welcome to the forums!

If you are referring to the Best Buy G513QY-212.SG15 model, we have a unit available for testing and the sticker on the screen bezel mentions "300Hz 3ms" so if you have not removed yours yet, wondering if you may want to mention that to ASUS customer support, but if they check your notebook serial number, they should also see that it includes a 300Hz screen.

==============

Anyway, to answer your question our G513QY-212.SG15 test unit with Armoury Crate v4.0.10.0 does have the option for Panel Overdrive available as long as we are on AC power, so make sure the AC adapter is plugged in and please confirm the Armoury Crate version you are currently running.

If you are still having problems, make sure you don't see any updates for Armoury Crate as well as MyASUS which may have some Armoury Crate updates once in a while.

=============

Not sure if you want to uninstall and reinstall Armoury Crate, but that is one idea and there is an Armoury Crate uninstall utility under the Armoury Crate downloads you can try as well, so let me know if you want any help to find it.

Try to restart Windows as well if you normally just shutdown and power on.

Hey thanks for the reply. Yes I still have the sticker that says "300 HZ 3ms" on the laptop. I always have the laptop on AC power as the laptop significantly reduces the CPU and GPU power when on battery only. I have updated through "My Asus", Armoury Crate", and "Windows Update" to no avail. I uninstalled Armoury Crate and reinstalled, but still doesn't work.

However, I have Armoury Crate 4.1.6.0. Where do you find 4.0.10.0?

cl-Albert
I'm still running the original ASUS Windows image that came with the G513QY-212.SG15 and Armoury Crate automatically updated to 4.0.10.0.

Yes, was wondering how you ended up with Armoury Crate 4.1.6.0 and if that may be related to the Panel Overdrive issue, but when I check for updates in Armoury Crate it cannot find anything newer.

Haven't tried this yet and can try it later if necessary, but if you download Armoury Crate from the ASUS U.S. G513QY download page, guessing it will install or update to 4.0.10.0, but I could be wrong, so feel free to let me know if that is the case.

https://rog.asus.com/us/laptops/rog-strix/2021-rog-strix-g15-advantage-edition-series/helpdesk_downl...

Also, not sure if you have tried it yet or are interested, but the Armoury Crate download page below has an Uninstall Tool (click on see all downloads) that you may want to consider trying before reinstalling Armoury Crate although not sure if could also cause you any problems to reinstall Armoury Crate if you would rather wait before trying that.

https://www.asus.com/US/supportonly/Armoury%20Crate/HelpDesk_Download/

cl-Albert
fyi.
Was able to fool around with this more and see the missing Panel Overdrive setting issue.

Apparently the Armoury Crate on the G513QY downlaod page will also install 4.1.6.0 which still had the Panel Overdrive setting when I just used Windows Apps and Features to remove Armoury Crate.

After I used the Armoury Crate uninstall Tool though, the Panel Overdrive setting disappeared from any Armoury Crate versions that I installed.

=====================

The way I could get it back was to install RefreshRateService v2.06 from the G513QY download page although I also uninstalled RefreshRateService v2.08 from 'Apps and Features' first.

https://rog.asus.com/us/laptops/rog-strix/2021-rog-strix-g15-advantage-edition-series/helpdesk_downl...

cl-Albert@ROG wrote:
fyi.
Was able to fool around with this more and see the missing Panel Overdrive setting issue.

Apparently the Armoury Crate on the G513QY downlaod page will also install 4.1.6.0 which still had the Panel Overdrive setting when I just used Windows Apps and Features to remove Armoury Crate.

After I used the Armoury Crate uninstall Tool though, the Panel Overdrive setting disappeared from any Armoury Crate versions that I installed.

=====================

The way I could get it back was to install RefreshRateService v2.06 from the G513QY download page although I also uninstalled RefreshRateService v2.08 from 'Apps and Features' first.

So I used to uninstall tool from Asus to uninstall Armoury Crate and then uninstalled refreshrateservice from the "Apps and Services" .
I then went into the eSupport folder and reinstalled refreshrateservice 2.0.6 and Armoury Crate 4.0.10.0 from "AsusInsWiz".
I see that the install was successful, but now I can't pull up Armoury Crate. It seems like the system didn't install the GUI maybe?
I've uninstalled and reinstalled a few times to no avail. However, if I go to the Asus website and download 4.0.6.0 I can hit the Armoury Crate button and the GUI comes up, but Panel Overdrive is still greyed out under all settings variations.

michaelkm wrote:
So I used to uninstall tool from Asus to uninstall Armoury Crate and then uninstalled refreshrateservice from the "Apps and Services" .
I then went into the eSupport folder and reinstalled refreshrateservice 2.0.6 and Armoury Crate 4.0.10.0 from "AsusInsWiz".
I see that the install was successful, but now I can't pull up Armoury Crate. It seems like the system didn't install the GUI maybe?
I've uninstalled and reinstalled a few times to no avail. However, if I go to the Asus website and download 4.0.6.0 I can hit the Armoury Crate button and the GUI comes up, but Panel Overdrive is still greyed out under all settings variations.

Copied from Armoury Crate "About"

Item Version
---- -------
Armoury Crate UWP App 4.1.6.0
ROG Live Service 1.2.12.5
AURA Service (Lighting Service) 3.05.06
Armoury Crate service 4.1.5
ASUS Aac_GmAcc HAL 1.0.0.0
ASUS Aac_NBDT HAL 2.5.1.0
ASUS Keyboard HAL 1.01.44
ASUS MB Peripheral Products 1.0.35
ASUS Mouse HAL 1.1.0.34
AacAudioHal 1.3.22.0
AacDispaly 1.1.29

cl-Albert
Hi,

Thanks for the screenshots and details.

Don't know that it would make much difference, but would just avoid AsInsWiz for now since you can get a newer version of Armoury Crate online although if you are running the latest Armoury Crate 4.1.6.0 now, you are probably okay.

Please confirm you are plugged into AC power when you check the Panel Overdrive setting.

Also, make sure you see RefreshRateService under Windows Apps and Features and try to select the uninstall option, but choose the modify and repair option after that which will probably be okay, but if it reports a file is missing, uninstall it and reinstall RefreshRateService 2.06 which you can also find on the G531QY download site under 'utilities' (select show all downloads).

Check MyASUS as well as Armoury Crate updates to see if they find anything that can help.

========================

Since you did install Armoury Crate 4.0.10.0 from "AsusInsWiz" earlier, not sure if that could be related and don't know how you uninstalled it before installing Armoury Crate 4.1.6.0, but if you didn't try the Armoury Crate uninstall utility, that's another idea before you reinstall Armoury Crate 4.1.6.0.

Here are the steps that worked for me although if you avoided using the Armoury Crate uninstall tool, it probably would have been easier for this issue.

1. Uninstall Armoury Crate using the Armoury Crate uninstall Tool from the Armoury Crate download page (choose see all downloads) https://www.asus.com/US/supportonly/Armoury%20Crate/HelpDesk_download/

2. Install Armoury Crate 4.1.6.0 from the G531QY download site/utilities https://rog.asus.com/us/laptops/rog-strix/2021-rog-strix-g15-advantage-edition-series/helpdesk_downl...

3. Uninstall refreshrateservice from Windows Apps and Features if it cannot be repaired and reinstall refreshrateservice which you can get from the G531QY download page/utilities https://rog.asus.com/us/laptops/rog-strix/2021-rog-strix-g15-advantage-edition-series/helpdesk_downl... .

4. Plug in AC power to check the Panel Overdrive setting in Armoury Crate.