cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does a new Bios update actually increase performance?

randomdud3213
Level 7
Hey there! I built my PC with the Asus Strix z590-e motherboard, and I realized my bios version is outdated from a version back in January. Since then there were several released updates for the bios, and two of the releases mention improved performance and system stability.

For those of you who have updated their bios to a version that promises better performance/stability, have you seen any improvement? If so, could you let me know a rough estimate of how much your PC's performance haimproved?
6 REPLIES 6

BigJohnny
Level 13
Its almost always the opposite with new microcodes. My suggestion....if it isn't broke don't fix it.

Zardoc
Level 10
I would tend to agree with Johnny because most of the time that's the case. But, sometimes there are actually performance boosts.

I've seen an update on my old Z270 make quite a change on performance. However the Z590 I can't say that I have seen any performance enhancements. Especially with the USB audio which suck because they slow down boot times.

Way to go Realtek!! Use to be we could actually get drivers and see constructive information on sound chips. Now they're so big they don't really care anymore what you think.
Hope someone slaps them in the wallet so they can remember who it is that got them so big!!

bscool
Level 11
On z590 there is a performance increase on memory copy speed with the latter 2 bios even when manually setting all main & sub timings. Also increased in clock speed if using ABT previous bios maxed at 50 with latest 51 on z590 Hero and Apex.

Resizeable Bar increased performance on my Z490 Maximus Hero 12. I have saved benchmarks from that. Not sure if Z590 came with that enabled or not.

Dirty80s wrote:
Resizeable Bar increased performance on my Z490 Maximus Hero 12. I have saved benchmarks from that. Not sure if Z590 came with that enabled or not.

Yeah adding resize bar if you have a 30XX GPU will certainly increase memory performance. That's what Resize bar is about. Using the GDDR6 memory with a direct pipeline to the CPU for non GPU loads.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

Obviously this will depend on the changes between UEFI builds. The consensus, unfortunately, over the last couple of years is that performance is worse due to the barrage of ucode security updates that had a negative impact on certain workload performance. These have plateaued at this stage, so most changes to the firmware will likely bring stability improvements.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090