New ROGer Array

Does a new Bios update actually increase performance?

Hey there! I built my PC with the Asus Strix z590-e motherboard, and I realized my bios version is outdated from a version back in January. Since then there were several released updates for the bios, and two of the releases mention improved performance and system stability.

For those of you who have updated their bios to a version that promises better performance/stability, have you seen any improvement? If so, could you let me know a rough estimate of how much your PC's performance haimproved?

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

Its almost always the opposite with new microcodes. My suggestion....if it isn't broke don't fix it.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Zardoc PC Specs
    Zardoc PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Strix Z590-A Gaming WiFi 6 Intel® Z590 LGA 1200 PCIe 4.0
    ProcessorIntel® Core™ i7-11700 Processor 16M Cache, up to 4.90 GHz
    Memory (part number)Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 2070 OC edition 8GB GDDR6 Clock 1410 MHz Memory Clock 1750 MHz
    Sound CardOnbard Realtek 4080
    MonitorLG 27UK850-W 27'' 4K UHD IPS
    Storage #1Samsung 980 pro M.2 256 GB Pcie Gen 4.0
    Storage #2Samsung 970 Evo M.2 2280 2tb Pcie Gen3. X4
    CPU CoolerCryorig H7 Tower Cooler For AMD/Intel CPU
    CaseFractal Design Define R5 ATX Mid Tower Window Case Titanium 2X5.25 1X3.5 8X3.5IN
    Power SupplyCorsair AXi Series AX860i Digital 860W 80 PLUS
    Keyboard Logitech K800
    Mouse Logitech 705
    Headset/Speakers Klipsch THX
    OS Win 10 Ent 19043
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC86U

I would tend to agree with Johnny because most of the time that's the case. But, sometimes there are actually performance boosts.

I've seen an update on my old Z270 make quite a change on performance. However the Z590 I can't say that I have seen any performance enhancements. Especially with the USB audio which suck because they slow down boot times.

Way to go Realtek!! Use to be we could actually get drivers and see constructive information on sound chips. Now they're so big they don't really care anymore what you think.
    Hope someone slaps them in the wallet so they can remember who it is that got them so big!!

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

On z590 there is a performance increase on memory copy speed with the latter 2 bios even when manually setting all main & sub timings. Also increased in clock speed if using ABT previous bios maxed at 50 with latest 51 on z590 Hero and Apex.
    Last edited by bscool; 07-12-2021 at 08:33 AM.

New ROGer Array

Resizeable Bar increased performance on my Z490 Maximus Hero 12. I have saved benchmarks from that. Not sure if Z590 came with that enabled or not.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty80s View Post
    Resizeable Bar increased performance on my Z490 Maximus Hero 12. I have saved benchmarks from that. Not sure if Z590 came with that enabled or not.
    Yeah adding resize bar if you have a 30XX GPU will certainly increase memory performance. That's what Resize bar is about. Using the GDDR6 memory with a direct pipeline to the CPU for non GPU loads.

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ROG's Avatar

Hello,

Obviously this will depend on the changes between UEFI builds. The consensus, unfortunately, over the last couple of years is that performance is worse due to the barrage of ucode security updates that had a negative impact on certain workload performance. These have plateaued at this stage, so most changes to the firmware will likely bring stability improvements.