cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I add a DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G Capture & Playback Card PCIe Card with my current

gamestoned
Level 7
Hello*everyone,

I have the following PC setup

Intel Core i9 10850K 3.60GHz (5.20GHz Turbo), 10-Core 20-Thread
EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming 24GB
ASUS ROG STRIX Z590 E Gaming (WIFI)
G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB DDR4 3200MHz (2x16GB)
1TB Intel 670P M.2 NVMe*SSD
2TB Intel 670P M.2 NVMe SSD
EVGA CLC 240mm RGB AIO
850W 80 Plus Gold PSU
Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Can I add this*DeckLink – Tech Specs | Blackmagic Design*to my PCIe slot? Will there be any speed limitations between my RTX 3090 and 2 NVME drives?

I was advised by a lot of colorists that to see the clean color graded output from Davinci Resolve I need to use a clean feed through a decklink card to a HDR monitor. I bought the Asus Proart PA32UCG for that. But now need to finalize whether the additional PCIe card would cause any bottleneck to my existing hardware?

I couldn't find a clear answer for this*& appreciate your reply so that I can choose to proceed and buy the card or look for alternatives?

Best,
Paul
1 REPLY 1

AS185
Level 10
That's a very good question.
First of, your processor has only 16 PCI express lines. To my knowledge, that' not a lot. For comparison, my CPU has 64 PCI-express lines and I have installed an Nvidia Titan RTX with Asus Hyper M.2 x16 card with 4 NVMe SSD's inside. Basically, the more PCI-express lines your processor has the more it can compute between the PCI slots. I'm not sure on how Intel has this designed. You would have to ask an Intel user. Maybe it's enough though?
From looking at the manual, from my understanding, I'm thinking to adding this capture card wouldn't be any type of bottleneck. You would have to mount the NVMe drives though to M2_3 & M2_4 slots so this way that could of been an alternative to avoiding any limitations. This way the CPU would be computing with the chipset not the PCI slots directly. The other two M.2 slots have limitations. You can observe that inside the manual.