cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I break into my own router?

Zarathustraa
Level 7
I only have a twenty character password, and have maybe up to six characters I am unsure of. A few of the characters might be other symbols that look similar. Since I know the position of the unknown characters are there any good programs for printing out a list of all potential permutations?

I'm trying to not have to reset the router and reconfigure everything again.
3 REPLIES 3

wilsondenq
Level 10
Zarathustraa wrote:
I only have a twenty character password, and have maybe up to six characters I am unsure of. A few of the characters might be other symbols that look similar. Since I know the position of the unknown characters are there any good programs for printing out a list of all potential permutations?

not ganna work, the login protection will disable login longer and longer.

RedSector73
Level 12
Zarathustraa wrote:

Then why not simply hardware reset it, go back default settings and you can log in with default settings. You don't need to remember your password or hack anything.

Most Asus routers you hold the reset button for about five or so seconds and will factory reset.

Hello, Zarathustraa,

First, I'm going to give you a possible solution to your issue, have you checked your input method for your keyboard press 'Windows Key+ Spacebar' to change it, sometimes if you login as a different user it will change the keyboard input method. Eg, US-Keyboard or United-Kingdom-Keyboard, I just thought I would say this it's caught me out a few times.

Now, I'm not advising you on how to hack a router, and I won't. I'm advising, you to not ask 'how to hack a router', on one of the major producers of 'top end routers' in the world. The simple fact is routers are made to be un-hackable, but you and I know nothing is un-hackable. I have been in your situation, you forgot to back up the settings on your router after making major changes to the setting which improved the lag on your favorite game.

My last bit of advice is 'dude', DON'T HACK YOUR ROUTER, take it on the chin. Learn from the mistake, and never repeat it again. I have been there! Reset the router and go through and set it up again, with all the best setting like you did before.

By the way, if you do try and succeed in hacking your router, the manufacturer will come down on 'you and your system' like a tone of bricks! You will end up in court and will end up with a lot of debt.

Good luck, Zarathustraa, and stay safe!