cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No ethernet cable detected on Asus tuf gaming x570 PRO

BioTiNe
Level 7
Hello everyone, I have an Asus tuf gaming x570 PRO WIFI and I'm trying to get internet through the 2.5gb ethernet port but Windows keeps reporting that there is no cable plugged in, according to what I've read on the internet this motherboard comes with the third revision of the intel I225-V controller and therefore does not need a firmware update. I've already updated to the latest drivers, is there something obvious I'm missing?
10 REPLIES 10

xeromist
Do you get indicator lights on the port indicating there is a physical connection?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Do you get indicator lights on the port indicating there is a physical connection?

No I don't get any lights, but I know that the cable is fine because it works with other devices. I also know that the port is fine because I can connect my laptop to it and share files without problems. It's only when I connect it to my internet ethernet cable that it won't detect any cables plugged in.

Escorpiom
Level 9
Maybe a bit far fetched, but has your internet device a 100base port?
You may need a crossover cable.
The 1000base standard is auto mdi-mdx, but the fast ethernet 100base-tx is not.
So this seems to me more a compatibility issue due to wrong cable type used.

Cheers.

BioTiNe
Level 7
Interesting, so I tried plugging in my motherboard directly to my router and it worked. As far as I know a switch (I think? I'm not very knowledgeable in this type of thing) is connected to my router and my computer is connected to the switch, so If I'm understanding correctly if the switch has a 100 base port and my motherboard has a 1000 base I need to change my ethernet cable to be crossover? The cable worked fine with my old laptops one which is 100 mbps max and the other used an ethernet to USB-C adapter, so I haven't tried it with a 1000base computer.

Escorpiom
Level 9
Switches use straight cables. The switch is normally internally prepared for that.
Only in rare cases you should need a crossover cable.
When I read your post, it occurred to me that you may have such an issue.
Anyways, try with other cables, straight or crossover, this may very well be an incompatible pinout on the cable.
Not to say it's faulty or wrong, just not compatible.

Cheers.

BioTiNe
Level 7
Just tried swapping cables but no luck so far, I currently don't have any crossover cables to test with but I forgot to mention that the internet ethernet cable works when I connect it to a LAN to USB-C adapter which I plug in to my x570 motherboard, could this indicate that there's some software issue going on? The adapter is rated for up to 1000mbps.
Also when I use this method my speed is capped at 100mbps which I find pretty weird.

BigJohnny
Level 13
Is the port enabled in the BIOS?

BioTiNe
Level 7
Given that it works when I plug in other devices I would assume so, if I have the default settings set on my BIOS it should be enabled right?

BioTiNe wrote:
Given that it works when I plug in other devices I would assume so, if I have the default settings set on my BIOS it should be enabled right?

It's easy to check, just go in the uefi and check settings, one minute and ready.