cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

x570 Dark Hero and 64GB of RAM issues

dante_afk
Level 7
Hey folks.

so I recently upgrade from 32GB of RAM (G.Skill F4-3200C14D-32GVK) to 64GB of the same kit, 4x16GB. CPU is a 5950x. Bios is the newest 3601. GPU 3090RTX, PSU is a Corsair ax1200i.

Now the issue I'm having is, as soon as I run anything 3D related, being it a benchmark, a game, anything that uses my GPU, I'd get a WHEA uncontrollable error bluescreen. Everything is on stock settings, no overclocking at all. Karhu, memtest and Aida memtests give 0 errors. I'm not able to get a minidump as the BSOD just freezes with 0% data collected.

I'm out of ideas what the issue might be, other than the board itself?
22 REPLIES 22

RedSector73
Level 12
Are you using DOCP ?

Did you buy 2x16 kit twice or did you buy a full second 4x16 kit ?

Is the kit(s) tested & certified to run 4xdimms or only 2xdimms ?

dante_afk
Level 7
it's two separate 2*16 kits.

I did further testing and ended up also getting BSODS even with 32gb only. I then plugged in my PSU from my bench table into my gpu and to My surprise it was all good, I let it run a benchmark for 6 hours without a BSOD.

now, is it the psu or motherboard? I had the bsods more frequently with 64gb than with 32, which maybe leads me to believe it's rather the board as there is more stress on it with 64 instead of 32?

RedSector73
Level 12
More likely not enough SOC value with both kits in. SOC Voltage is for the memory controller in the CPU. Using DOCP profile

Try manually setting SOC value, suggest 1.05v 1.1v (

RedSector73 wrote:
More likely not enough SOC value with both kits in. SOC Voltage is for the memory controller in the CPU. Using DOCP profile

Try manually setting SOC value, suggest 1.05v 1.1v (

I agree it sounds like an IMC issue.

Running 64g, 4 sticks of dual rank Ballistix 3600 @3766 [damn 3800mhz hole...] on my Dark Hero w/ 5950x required much looser timings, and an adjustment to SOC voltage compared to 64g, 4 sticks of single rank Ballistix 3600 also @3766.

The dual rank ended up in my 11900k system, as Intel's IMC handles it far better.

DarkPhantom
Level 7
OP - similar build to yours:

5950x/dark hero/4x16gb (2x16gb kits)/3090 evga/1000W+ PSU

I've swapped out CPU, GPU and PSU, still having same issues. Memory tested fine, last resort seems to be the board -_-

Escorpiom
Level 9
Maybe slightly related, I've got 4x16 Gskill GVK on my CH8 and it has been extremely problematic from day one.
Modules are rated for 3200Mhz but after months of tweaking they are only stable at 3000Mhz.
This is a 4-dimm kit, so it should be matched.
Board runs fine with two modules at rated (3200Mhz) speed. But I need the 64GB.

Cheers.

Escorpiom wrote:
This is a 4-dimm kit, so it should be matched.
Board runs fine with two modules at rated (3200Mhz) speed. But I need the 64GB.

If it is on G.skill QVL for use, I would have RMA and replaced it already. Why use something that can't even hold 3200 Mhz ?

RedSector73 wrote:
If it is on G.skill QVL for use, I would have RMA and replaced it already. Why use something that can't even hold 3200 Mhz ?

Yep, it's on G.Skill's QVL.
I did contact support but they only said it was "tested working".
Using only two modules is working fine though, so really this could be something with the board. C-die Samsung is relatively new and doesn't scale well with voltages above 1.35.
Still hoping for a bios from Asus with fixes.

Cheers.

RedSector73
Level 12
try the SOC voltage manually then. f9 is failure, 0d is getting close.

Thaiphoon Burner & Ryzen Dram Calculator might be of help as well.