cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero and RAM issues (Solved)

Hardstyle
Level 7
Hello everyone,

I'am an hardcore gamer and I've always used to build my own computer.

Unfortunatly I realy need help with the latest config.

Here the stuff*:

Asus ROG crosshair 8 DARKHERO (with latest bios version 3801)
Windows 10 pro 64bit
AMD RYZEN 9 3950X
Watercooling Corsair H100i PRO XT
DDR4 3600 4x8 Corsair vengeance RGB PRO
Asus STRIX 3080
Double samsung NVMe
Corsair HX 1200W
Corsair Crystal 570X

There's two majors issues*:

1. The computer do not switch on normaly. Sometimes it turned on like normal, next time i have to press twice the power botton or sometime it doesn't turn on at all. I have to power off and on the supply power.
It's purly random. I've already turn off the fast windows boot in the bios.
PS*:There's no reset botton in the corsair 570X tower.

2. Crashes.
When I m playing there's crashs. It's always the same windows error*:
''Material problem*: LiveKernelEvent code*; 144 or ffab*''
Sometimes there's bluescreen sometimes it's just the game who shut down. Sometimes it's just a big freez but the game come back (in world of warcraft for exemple) but i still have the problem report when I check windows fiability historical.

3. The Qcod from motherboard show 0C witch means*: '"Reserved for Future AMI SEC Error Codes" Maybe its because i've overclocked my CPU to 49x. When i turn off overclock GPU it show 9E. Note that there's still crashs when the CPU is not overclocked.

I think the problem come from the RAM config.
LiveKernelEvent 144 say that's i need to test my RAM. My first RAM was diagnosticed with an error and I've just received the new ones from Corsair yesterday. No error from windows diagnostic and from Memtest86 test with the new one but I still have crashs issues.

I've tested everything, DOCP mode, manual config (just changing Ram frequency to 3600).
It seems that it's more stabble when the voltage of DDRRAM is boost at 1.36V.

When I choose the DOCP profil in bios i've a warning message ''the DOCP profil can occure instability, the max profil is around 3600''

Another thing that guide me to RAM config problem is when i go to ICUE software from corsair (this is where you can set up you'r RGB) after a crash there's a red exclamation mark in the RAM icon i can't select it. It's weird.

I fell very lost and frustrated to not use the computer normaly.
Is there someone abble to help me*?

Thank's a lot for reading me,

Wish you a good day

Olivier
35 REPLIES 35

RedSector73
Level 12
Do you have both EATX connectors, top of motherboard, left of CPU connected ?
Check the all power onto the motherboard is fully seated in to the connectors.

Your Corsair H100i PRO XT has its own backing plate, any chance you put it on backwards ?
should look like this, source https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/corsair-h100i-rgb-pro-xt-liquid-cooler-review,1.html

DOCP should be done like this

RedSector73 wrote:
Do you have both EATX connectors, top of motherboard, left of CPU connected ?
Check the all power onto the motherboard is fully seated in to the connectors.

Your Corsair H100i PRO XT has its own backing plate, any chance you put it on backwards ?
should look like this, source https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/corsair-h100i-rgb-pro-xt-liquid-cooler-review,1.html

DOCP should be done like this

Hello @RedSector73
Thanks a lot for you'r answer. I appreciate it.

Yes all connectors are well plugged.

I've put the ram frequency to DOCP 3600 to 3200 and it's better. No crash since yesterday. I'll try with 1.35V (downgrade from 1.36V).

For the backplate of Corsair HI100, I dont realy understand. Do you want me to turn it back ?

I wish you a good day,

Olivier

Hardstyle wrote:
For the backplate of Corsair HI100, I dont realy understand. Do you want me to turn it back ?

No I was checking you have installed it correctly. If your RAM will not run DOCP 3600 and is rated to then I would be asking the store you bought from to test it and confirm it is in working order / replace with RAM that works. You should not have to reduce it speed in order to stop crashing. The issue is working out if it is the RAM, CPU, motherboard or installation causing the issue. The reduction in speed and stability tend to point towards first three I listed still being the cuase and I would be suspecting the RAM itself.

Memtest86 while at DOCP rated speed for errors would be quickest way to test yourself. Any error even 1 is failure.

UPDATE :
Ok guys, I've find a solution, when putting DOCP mode, I need to manual set BCLK frequency to half of DDR speed (1800 for 3600Dram frequency for exemple). I think there is an overcloking mode who boost this frequency and this is what made my RAM crash.

Now gaming is ok but i still have switch on computer issu...

RedSector73
Level 12
If you set memory clock at 1800 then your memory synced speed will be @ 3600 MHz because it's DDR (double data rate). DDR double data rate means it can transfer data on both rising and falling edges of the clock meaning it can transfer 2 bits of data per clock.

So not really half speed, that's how it works. Memory controller set @1800 x 2 synced for RAM running DDR@3600. Generally keeping the memory controllor synced to DDR speed produces the best results.

RedSector73 wrote:
If you set memory clock at 1800 then your memory synced speed will be @ 3600 MHz because it's DDR (double data rate). DDR double data rate means it can transfer data on both rising and falling edges of the clock meaning it can transfer 2 bits of data per clock.

So not really half speed, that's how it works. Memory controller set @1800 x 2 synced for RAM running DDR@3600. Generally keeping the memory controllor synced to DDR speed produces the best results.

What i wanted to say, it's when DOCP is selected it put BCLK frequency to ''AUTO''. I need to setting it manualy (1800for my case) and it's better now. Weird but seems ok for the moment

Hello guys,
Today I've made a fresh windows install. And unfortunatly still the same problem.
I'm now quite sure that it's a ram setting issu. I've check AMD 3950x website and they say it's works with RAM x2 3200 c16 or c18. Many people on forums says that 2x ram is far better than 4x ram for new amd CPU

I'll switch my corsair 4x8 3600 c18 to 2x16 3200 c16. I'll give you news next week.

Hardstyle wrote:
Hello guys,
Today I've made a fresh windows install. And unfortunatly still the same problem.
I'm now quite sure that it's a ram setting issu. I've check AMD 3950x website and they say it's works with RAM x2 3200 c16 or c18. Many people on forums says that 2x ram is far better than 4x ram for new amd CPU

I'll switch my corsair 4x8 3600 c18 to 2x16 3200 c16. I'll give you news next week.

The RAM i'm using ATM is : CMW32GX4M4D3600C18. It's on the Asus DarKHERO8 memory list but not in Ryzen memory one...

RedSector73
Level 12
Hey, try a manual SOC valve of 1.1v or 1.15v (start with the lower one) with 4 x RAM

How to set SOC Voltage.

Enter BIOS, Advanced mode.

Navigate to
Extreme Tweaker (maybe AI Tweaker) -> CPU SOC Voltage set to manual.

RAM 2 or 4 sticks depends on if it single rank or dual rank for performance levels or which is better.
YMMV and hardware unboxed -youtube has done some good videos on this subject.
2xDual Rank (DR) is good
4xSingle Rank (SR) is fractionally better.

Check your RAM at AMD link
https://www.amd.com/en/products/ryzen-compatible-memory

FLCK will be 1800, if your off auto for this setting.