cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flow X13 100W PD charger

mlaihk
Level 7
What is the reason behind have a type-c 100W charger and yet will not allow third party fully PD compliant 100w+ charger to fully power the Flow X13?

This just really baffles me. The whole point of USB PD using type-c is to standardize charging tech to make it easier for users to use compatible chargers across machines. And yet, Asus will built an otherwise excellent machine just o cripple third party spec compliant charger to fully power this remarkable laptop......

This logic is really beyond me......
2 REPLIES 2

obtFusi
Level 7
Sorry for pushing an old thread, but as it has no answers, and other people like me find that topic for example due to a google search:

I also can't deliver the fully correct answer, but what I guess to that question:

It's a business case so that people are forced to buy chargers from Asus to empower the full loading potential, not a USB-C technical type of behavior.

If you would ask ASUS, I guess their answer would be "it's a safety-related topic".

Just my thoughts.

KR

I only tried one other non-Asus USB-C 100w charger, and it still got the message 'unsupported charger'...

.. but that charger appeared to be faulty itself, with other problems (like charging starting and then stopping and then starting and then stopping, etc...).

So when I bought another one, I just went for the Asus one. Not much price difference in there, and I know for sure it's OK.

But.. Asus support told me that they basically do _NOT_ check for a brand or something. In theory, it doesn't has to be the official Asus charger, it just needs to be a 5V 20A USB-C PD charger... but apparently working ones are hard to find.