cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't switch from Firmware TPM to Discrete TPM in Bios. Q Code 9E. Asus Dark Hero

Planetgazer11
Level 7
Motherboard: Asus Dark Hero
CPU: 5950X
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RAM: GSkill Royals 32 gigs

Greetings everyone,

So I just updated my bios from 3204 to 3702. With the 3204 bios, the Qcode I would get when my computer was on is AA. Now with the 3702 bios I notice I get the Qcode 9E. I did some research it supposedly tied to the FTPM option. So I go in the bios and switch it from FTPM to Discrete TPM. I save the changes and exit. The system boots but I still have the 9E Qcode. I go back into bios and see that the system is still at FTPM. So for some reason it won't switch to discrete TPM. I have a few questions:

1. Is it normal for the system to not let me switch to discrete TPM FROM FTPM?
2. Is the 9E code normal?
3. How do I switch back to Discrete TPM FROM FTPM?

Thanks in advance for the help!
13 REPLIES 13

rubenalamina
Level 7
As far as I understand, the discrete TPM options in BIOS or to be used with an independent module. The fTPM or the Intel equivalent are built into their CPUs so that's why you can't use discrete in your motherboard, unless it has a TPM socket and you connect a module.

Planetgazer11
Level 7
Doesn't the Asus Dark Hero have a TPM Module? It says in the bios that I have one. Also does anyone else have the Qcode 9E after updating to the newest bios 3702? I updated FROM 3204

Planetgazer11 wrote:
Doesn't the Asus Dark Hero have a TPM Module? It says in the bios that I have one. Also does anyone else have the Qcode 9E after updating to the newest bios 3702? I updated FROM 3204

einsindrei wrote:
I have the same BIOS. As i understand after my research 9E is normal and reserved die furure Q Codes. So no worry. And it comes after TPM is enabled

^this

TPM is built in to BIOS but there is also provision for TPM module separately (don't need but you can if you have too)
9E means working correctly and passes the Windows 11 validiation test.

I have both CH8 Wifi & CH6 both display this code once it is enabled.

einsindrei
Level 10
I have the same BIOS. As i understand after my research 9E is normal and reserved die furure Q Codes. So no worry. And it comes after TPM is enabled

Jesseinsf
Level 10
TPM module is sold separately. You have to install it on to the TPM header for that to work. Yes you only have a TPM header, not a TPM module. This is in the manual of your motherboard page 1-27.

Jesseinsf wrote:
TPM module is sold separately. You have to install it on to the TPM header for that to work. Yes you only have a TPM header, not a TPM module. This is in the manual of your motherboard page 1-27.

Do you own this motherboard ?
Care to explain why you need TPM module, given you can enable the one in the BIOS and pass Windows 11 validation ?
I dont follow your logic explain it to me ?

Jesseinsf wrote:

There is firmware TPM 2.0 in the BIOS. You only need to switch to it on UEFI and you then pass Windows 11 validation (the most likely reason you even turn it on). Which is the case for nearly all AM4 motherboards ASUS made from b350 upwards from what I can see here at home / own. Allthough apparantly Series 1 Ryzen dont support it and my 1800x cries knowing I have 2700x sitting doing nothing atm that may replace it in my NAS.

So why exactly do we need to go buy TPM module / I dont understand the logic in buying TPM, when it is incorprated in the BIOS at version required by Windows 11 ?

covered here in detail
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?124613-INFORMATION-Windows-11-Get-Ready

RedSector73 wrote:
There is firmware TPM 2.0 in the BIOS. You only need to switch to it on UEFI and you then pass Windows 11 validation (the most likely reason you even turn it on). Which is the case for nearly all AM4 motherboards ASUS made from b350 upwards from what I can see here at home / own. Allthough apparantly Series 1 Ryzen dont support it and my 1800x cries knowing I have 2700x sitting doing nothing atm that may replace it in my NAS.

So why exactly do we need to go buy TPM module / I dont understand the logic in buying TPM, when it is incorprated in the BIOS at version required by Windows 11 ?

covered here in detail
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?124613-INFORMATION-Windows-11-Get-Ready

He's aware that he has firmware TPM. I was focusing on his main concern, which was Hardware TPM.

Planetgazer11
Level 7
Wow thanks guys for all the respones! I greatly appreciate your help!

Okay I get it.

1. I have the TPM discrete header, but not the module so that's why I can't switch to discrete TPM

2. So even with the Qcode 9E, the mobo will still show other Qcode if something is wrong with the computer? It won't be stuck at 9E will it?

3. How do I disable the Firmware TPM? Is it in the section that says TPM 2.0 in the bios? I disable that?

Thanks for all your help 🙂 You guys are awesome!