cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is any new ROG better and lighter than my G75V. need new machine

luckydriver
Level 7
17inch I7 3630 with 16 gigs RAM and currently i have a 256 SSD plus a 2 tb seagate hybrid (by the way do NOT ever get them, they suck). i must have a new 17 replacement so here i am

I dont game but i got the machine years ago to future proof myself. i love the machine still but it's too heavy for my extended usage on my lap and it's hurting my legs (up to 14 hours a day working at home the past year). so i need something lighter but at least the same power. i do very heavily use the machine for video converting (from laptop to my tivo using pytivo) and i also convert videos using AVC so i believe the gaming series is what i need. i also regularly have firefox open with at least 20 tabs and chrome open with 10 tabs. so converting vids while all this is open needs at least the 16 ram i had before I guess maybe even more? but im ok with 16. If i could get a single 2 tb SSD to take the place of my 256 + 2 tb I think i could deal with the loss of the space. but i understand ROG has additional bays which is nice.

i also have an issue with them taking away the page up and down keys on the keypad. i use them heavily. i dont want to have to press function to do that but i see microsoft has a key remapper.

i see the different levels of ROG and im wondering what is closest to what i have. the only way i know to compare is use a website comparing cpu specs to make sure a new one is faster. like i guess the i5 on the tuf wouldnt be as good? i need guidance. i assume stay with i7 at a minimum? Thanks
17 REPLIES 17

BigJohnny
Level 13
Better is a matter of opinion based on what you use it for.
With that being said lighter machines seldom have as much power. My G52VY has the bawlz but its heavy due to the heatsinks needed to dissipate the heat.
I generally dont set a machine on my lap, a bit contradictory.
There are lighter machines, an I5 probably would not give you are after if you do video conversion. I dont even use my G752VY for that as I find it too slow. I did use it at one time as a desktop replacement but then got tired of waiting and went with an 18 core desktop that spanks any laptop and most desktops.

The Scar 17 is probably one of the lighter higher powered machines but they come with a hefty price tag. Just how much depends on the configuration. If you are willing to take the screen size down to 15 there are more options.

My best advice is to use a table or at least a laptop desk that sits in your lap. Sitting it directly on your legs the machine gets hotter as do your legs. I cant take mine for more than 30 minutes or so. If Im not doing something I need the power for I use a Microsoft surface that is surprisingly fast on the I7 models. Just doesnt have discreet graphics and a 13 inch screen but its very light.

RedSector73
Level 12
Alternatives to consider your current 4.4 kg laptop in the ROG range

ROG Strix G17 Advantage Edition G713
ROG Strix G17 G713
ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503

I already own two Ryzen 4800h series TUF laptops, which my children use every day. They game well and will last all day (to nearly all day 8 hours) off the charge doing things like watching online videos, MS office, Internet, educationial stuff. Game about 2.5-3.5hrs on battery depending on game and mostly leave plugged in for that (graphics is AMD & 1660ti).

Clintlgm
Level 14
Well just about any modern notebook will do much more that what you have. As mentioned earlier thinner lighter notebooks have far less cooling have a tendency to throttle a lot.
SSD NVME go up to about 4 TB now with some up to 8TB. I don't use any hard drives in any of my notebooks anymore. I find that 512GB is perfect size for OS and 2TB is great for a storage SSD. With USB 3.2 we can use external Hard Drives or SSD also. External hard drives run as fast as internal ones. SSD run nearly as fast as internal ones. 32 GB of RAM is quite common as is i7 CPU, I wouldn't waste my time with only 4 cores of a I5 for just a little bit more money you get 8 or 12 now days. As with anything worthwhile is a matter of what you want and what you can do with out. What compromises your willing to make for light weight or more power If you converting Video you should understand that power mean shorter rendering/Producing time. You might even look at some of the Business models some are quite powerful with most of the the same hardware with out the ROG banner. I think I would use a computer desk with any 17" gaming notebook. These were never intended to held on your lap they are desktop replacement that are more portable. You need to start looking at all the different models currently available. Look deeply into each for what hardware they actual have. Then when you see a likely model ask around for other users for there opinions look on line for Reviews. Don't fall in love with the first thing you see or someone recomends check them all out.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

i dont know much about throttling. nor if my g75v has it. but per your comment new machines do have it. does this mean there's a chance ill be converting videos and it will take more time on the new machine even though the new machine is more powerful?

ive begun deep research into the lg gram 17.

https://www.lg.com/us/laptops/lg-17z90p-k.aab9u1-ultra-slim-laptop?returnFlag=Y

luckydriver wrote:
i dont know much about throttling. nor if my g75v has it. but per your comment new machines do have it. does this mean there's a chance ill be converting videos and it will take more time on the new machine even though the new machine is more powerful?

Clintlgm wrote:
There are some light weight ones but they can't handle any power they just overheat and Throttle all the time.
You really need to get you a desk for your work. that's insane to work 12 hours a day with any notebook computer I couldn't do that for even an hour, I always find some kind of desk or wooden create something to hold my heavy gaming notebook

Never had throttling happen on my any of my laptops past or present (this is NOT normal), would not buy one that cant handle its own heat.

If slower, heavier, hotter and throttling are possible features of any modern laptop your looking at, I would be looking elsewhere and seriosuly at why your purchasing at all.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3575499/the-best-cpu-for-laptops-intel-vs-amd.html

You might find this helpful OP.
https://www.androidauthority.com/best-asus-laptop-buying-guide-1232273/
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ryzen9-5900hx-linux&num=3
https://www.xda-developers.com/best-gaming-laptops/
https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/best-gaming-laptops,4828.html

im purchasing because for over a year now i worked at home with my 10 pound machine on my lap for 12 or more hours a day. i want something lighter like the LG gram at 3 pounds.

Clintlgm
Level 14
Just the opposite unless you get a thin high powered notebook as they just don't have the cooling power that your G75 has. Just about any current gaming notebook will out perform your G75 even if the CPU throttles some. and yes your G75 does have Throttling both with the CPU and GPU all computer have it to protect themselves from over heating and burning out. Which is probably why you are looking for a new notebook.
Just about any notebook with a I7 or I9 CPU will out perform your G75 since I think by now all them will have NVME M2 x4 SSD and at least 16 GB of RAM. How cool they will run depends on the Heatsink and cooling incorporated. Your G75 through G752 and probably beyond that have the same basic cooling system. Will run cooler than any of the thin notebooks that ae so popular nowadays. You probably need to google up the history of Gaming notebooks and start reading reviews on all of the current ones available. There are plenty of them out there on Amazon, Newegg, Best Buy and the other major Retailer. You don't want to buy just what ever is cheapest especially with Gaming equipment, buying without knowledge is a sure way to frustration and failure
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

the LG is not cheap thats for sure ! almost 2K. but i need super light. tired of the asus on my lap with 10 pounds sometimes over 12 hours a day 🙂

also i did find something ive never seen in a review. thermal imaging of the bottom of the unit. amazing. the feet on the bottom also look annoying but they can be taken off. you are right about the fast SSD configuration. (A 1 TB NVMe SSD (M.2-2280) from Samsung )

https://www.notebookcheck.net/LG-Gram-17-17Z90N-Review-A-light-and-mobile-17-inch-laptop-with-a-16-1...

luckydriver wrote:
the LG is not cheap thats for sure ! almost 2K. but i need super light. tired of the asus on my lap with 10 pounds sometimes over 12 hours a day 🙂

also i did find something ive never seen in a review. thermal imaging of the bottom of the unit. amazing. the feet on the bottom also look annoying but they can be taken off. you are right about the fast SSD configuration. (A 1 TB NVMe SSD (M.2-2280) from Samsung )

https://www.notebookcheck.net/LG-Gram-17-17Z90N-Review-A-light-and-mobile-17-inch-laptop-with-a-16-1...

well yes you really don't want a Gaming notebook as all that are worthwhile are going to be heavy. There are some light weight ones but they can't handle any power they just overheat and Throttle all the time.
You really need to get you a desk for your work. that's insane to work 12 hours a day with any notebook computer I couldn't do that for even an hour, I always find some kind of desk or wooden create something to hold my heavy gaming notebook
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro