cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help identify this G713QM part

noahone
Level 7
Hello,

When opening up the back of my brand new G713QM to add ram and 2nd SSD, this piece of copper (I think) fell into my lap and I have no clue where exactly it came from and/or if it is required. I have tried searching the net for answers to no avail. If anyone could shed some light, it would be greatly appreciated!

It may have related to the RGB front light bar as it stopped working and hasn't worked since. Other than that everything works fine.

Thank you in advance!
4 REPLIES 4

souliar7
Level 8
noahone wrote:
Hello,

When opening up the back of my brand new G713QM to add ram and 2nd SSD, this piece of copper (I think) fell into my lap and I have no clue where exactly it came from and/or if it is required. I have tried searching the net for answers to no avail. If anyone could shed some light, it would be greatly appreciated!

It may have related to the RGB front light bar as it stopped working and hasn't worked since. Other than that everything works fine.

Thank you in advance!

This part is from heatsink...

Triton_se
Level 8
My copper bit: It's from the cooler to the side with NVMe, I noticed once a bit was loose there and picked it up. Strangely I also have no working lights on the sides on my keyboard 😄 Once both "cables" came loose (not on the mobo but on the lid/case) when I opened to install memory or new NVMe, could have been from that. I want those lights off btw so I am fine.

G713QR

Triton.se wrote:
My copper bit: It's from the cooler to the side with NVMe, I noticed once a bit was loose there and picked it up. Strangely I also have no working lights on the sides on my keyboard 😄 Once both "cables" came loose (not on the mobo but on the lid/case) when I opened to install memory or new NVMe, could have been from that. I want those lights off btw so I am fine.

G713QR

thank you so much for solving this mystery. 2 things: is it absolutely necessary? if so, how would i reattach it/re-install it on the mobo?

thanks again!

xeromist
Heatsink parts are attached with solder and soldering near heatpipes is extremely difficult. So if your cooling is suffering the whole assembly should be replaced. But you didn't mention anything like that so I'm guessing the impact of that small part, if any, is negligible.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…