cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MEI and INF drivers for 'MAXIMUS VIII HERO' Please Help!

Loaded_Glove
Level 7
I know this motherboard is very old now so I'm not expecting the support page to continue to be updated, but can someone help.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/All-series/MAXIMUS-VIII-HERO/

I want to know where I can get the proper (even if not the newest) Management Engine drives as well as the INF driver.

Thanks in advance!
9 REPLIES 9

RedSector73
Level 12
Don't know if this is helpful, but by the sounds of it, you might have trouble finding anything for it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Management_Engine

Loaded_Glove
Level 7
How about the INF driver? Can I just use the latest general 1 on Intel's site or do I need a specific version for this chipset?

MoKiChU
Level 40
Hi,

You need these firmware/drivers for your ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero motherboard :

[FIRMWARE] Intel ME (Z170/Z270/Z370)

[DRIVERS] Intel Chipset/MEI/SATA (1xx/2xx/3xx/4xx/5xx)

- Intel Chipset Drivers

- Intel MEI Drivers (Drivers Only)

- Intel SATA AHCI-RAID Drivers (Drivers Only) :

Drivers - 1xx

[DRIVERS] ASMedia SATA

[DRIVERS] Intel Ethernet/WiFi/Bluetooth

- Intel Ethernet Drivers (Drivers Only) :

Drivers - I21x-V (1.0GbE)

[DRIVERS] Realtek Audio (MB | Intel 6x/7x/8x/9x/1xx)

You have an ASUS ROG SS2 motherboard, so :

You need Realtek High Definition Audio Drivers (HDA - ASUS ROG SSx MB) from the first post of the thread.

Follow scrupulously your CLEANUP process then your INSTALL process, for the next drivers packages that I would release, you will can directly follow your UPDATE process.

Loaded_Glove
Level 7
Wow that is some great info and very helpful work you do at the forum! Thanks very much for the info and resources.

I read through some of the threads and I have just 1 concern. You said rolling back the me firmware was very difficult and I am wondering what is the worst that could happen when updating this firmware? Destabilize the system? Brick the board?

I am willing to do the updates, but before I begin I just want to be aware of any risks people may have encountered.

Loaded Glove wrote:
Wow that is some great info and very helpful work you do at the forum! Thanks very much for the info and resources.

You're welcome.

Loaded Glove wrote:
I read through some of the threads and I have just 1 concern. You said rolling back the me firmware was very difficult and I am wondering what is the worst that could happen when updating this firmware? Destabilize the system? Brick the board?

I am willing to do the updates, but before I begin I just want to be aware of any risks people may have encountered.

From my point of view, any risks is so low in relation to security breaches that Intel ME firmware updates can be found in your product's support site when your product it is not EoL (it's up to OEMs to distribute the Intel ME firmware and not to Intel) :

They are also included in your BIOS updates (which in the both cases are generally older than what is offered in my threads).

If Intel ME firmware rollback is prohibited by Intel, it is because Intel ME firmware updates mainly fix security issues/flaws (you can check if your system is vulnerable through this tool before updating : [SOFTWARE] Intel ME Security Check (1xx/2xx/3xx/4xx/5xx)).

Note : If the Intel ME firmware contained in a new BIOS is older than the one you have, the current one you have will remain in place.

MoKiChU
Level 40
Loaded Glove wrote:

You're welcome.

Loaded Glove wrote:

From my point of view, any risks is so low compared to severity of security breaches that Intel ME firmware updates can be found in your product's support site when your product it is not EoL (it's up to OEMs to distribute the Intel ME firmware and not to Intel) :

They are also included in your BIOS updates (which in the both cases are generally older than what is offered in my threads).

If Intel ME firmware rollback is prohibited by Intel, it is because Intel ME firmware updates mainly fix security issues/flaws (you can check if your system is vulnerable through this tool before/after updating : [SOFTWARE] Intel ME Security Check (1xx/2xx/3xx/4xx/5xx)).

Note : If the Intel ME firmware contained in a new BIOS is older than the one you have, the current one you have will remain in place.

MoKiChU
Level 40
Loaded Glove wrote:

You're welcome.

Loaded Glove wrote:

From my point of view, any risks is so low compared to severity of security breaches that Intel ME firmware updates can be found in your product's support site when your product it is not EoL (it's up to OEMs to distribute the Intel ME firmware and not to Intel) :

If Intel ME firmware rollback is prohibited by Intel, it is because Intel ME firmware updates mainly fix security issues/flaws (you can check if your system is vulnerable through this tool before/after updating : [SOFTWARE] Intel ME Security Check (1xx/2xx/3xx/4xx/5xx)).

Loaded_Glove
Level 7
Just to be clear, I have bios 3802, is this firmware compatible?

Loaded Glove wrote:
Just to be clear, I have bios 3802, is this firmware compatible?

Yes, of course, BIOS version does not matter.