cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slimtype bd e ds4e1s WILL NOT READ ANY MEDIA

uniqorn2009
Level 7
I researched the forums for information to fix my dvd/rom but looks like there isn't any solutions! I've seen post after post of people that have the same slimtype bd e ds4e1s as I do on the same laptop G74S. And it also seems that they're all screwing up at the same time! I've do all the fixes they said to do. I did have the high and low pass filter in my registry, but it still had no effect as far as my player reconizing any media. Is there a recall on this particular one? If not it should be. Are there anymore solutions out there that hasn't been tried short of replacing the drive. I need my drive for my graphic work. I don't have time to send or take it anywhere. So if they'll send me one that would be great. On the tech page it said to upgrade the driver with the firmware, but there isn't any for these types of plug and play devices. I need help!
32 REPLIES 32

dstrakele
Level 14
uniqorn2009 wrote:
I've do all the fixes they said to do. I did have the high and low pass filter in my registry, but it still had no effect as far as my player reconizing any media.

I don't believe you understand the registry fix. It recommends to DELETE the UpperFilters and LowerFilters values from the registry and reboot so the changes can take effect. See http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?10427-G74SX-slimtype-problem&p=72363&viewfull=1#post72363

#fostert's idea to configure your system to boot from the ODD in the BIOS and then place a bootable CD in it (like a Windows installation disk or Windows Repair disk) to see if it can be read before Windows is loaded is another useful troubleshooting step in that thread.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

I did delete them, I didn't state it right

uniqorn2009 wrote:
I did delete them, I didn't state it right

Did the drive ever work? Or did it just suddenly stop sometime recently?

It just stopped. I've searched every forum about this problem I could find. I sent a email to tech support and haven't heard anything back from them. I also tried to boot with a bootable disk that also failed

BrodyBoy
Level 10
You have probably already done this, but make sure it didn't somehow get locked in the BIOS. It's worth checking.

Beyond that, any possibility of doing a system restore back to before the failure? Of course, it's possible that the hardware itself has failed, in which case it needs replacement. But a restore might help diagnose whether it's just the software that's gotten messed up.

Another thing you could try, if you have another laptop or a helpful friend with one, is to pop another drive in there. (They are all pretty much PnP SATA devices now, and held in place by just one or two easily-accessible screws, so it's easy to do.) If it installs and works immediately, that could point to hardware failure with your BD drive.

BrodyBoy wrote:
You have probably already done this, but make sure it didn't somehow get locked in the BIOS. It's worth checking.

Beyond that, any possibility of doing a system restore back to before the failure? Of course, it's possible that the hardware itself has failed, in which case it needs replacement. But a restore might help diagnose whether it's just the software that's gotten messed up.

Another thing you could try, if you have another laptop or a helpful friend with one, is to pop another drive in there. (They are all pretty much PnP SATA devices now, and held in place by just one or two easily-accessible screws, so it's easy to do.) If it installs and works immediately, that could point to hardware failure with your BD drive.

How do find out if it's locked?

uniqorn2009 wrote:
How do find out if it's locked?

(Use the arrow keys to navigate within the BIOS setup utility.)

• Boot into BIOS Setup (Press F2 immediately and repeatedly after powering up)
  • Navigate right to the "Security" tab
  • Navigate down to "I/O Interface Security" and hit ENTER
  • Make sure that "SATA ODD Interface" is set to [Unlock]
  • Press F10 to save and exit

BrodyBoy wrote:
(Use the arrow keys to navigate within the BIOS setup utility.)

• Boot into BIOS Setup (Press F2 immediately and repeatedly after powering up)
  • Navigate right to the "Security" tab
  • Navigate down to "I/O Interface Security" and hit ENTER
  • Make sure that "SATA ODD Interface" is set to [Unlock]
  • Press F10 to save and exit

everythings unlocked

+2 @black-bean!

I hadn't thought about it before, but if we're talking about a G74, this really makes a lot of sense! The ODD bay is the one huge opening into the chassis. Many have been surprised at how small the little cooling-system intake grilles are (in the top cover).....if those are a bit undersized, it makes perfect sense that the computer might be sucking air in through the ODD opening, which would essentially make the drive itself an air filter!

We've never had any of these issues with our G74's ODD, but now I'm curious to pull it out and see if it's getting dirty.