Page 15 of 60 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast
    Moderator Array

Hi all,
    Although some customers have returned it to retailer or sent RMA, I'm not sure when the retailer or distributor will send it to our repair center.
    We haven't received the motherboards for testing so far, but I will keep follow this case.
    If the issue occurs often on your ROG CROSSHAIR VIII DARK motherboard, and the bios is updated to 3081 with all default setting but the issue still occurs, could you please send RMA and PM me the following information?
    - the serial number and RMA number of the motherboard
    - How often do the issue occur? cannot wake up or cannot start up?
    - bios version and bios settings
    - the pc specs of the pc
    Thank you very much.
    Last edited by STARRAIN@ROG; 11-05-2021 at 12:47 AM.

Moderator Array

Hi Sackdragon,
    Because the model is different, could you please create a new thread for discussion?
    Thank you.

New ROGer Array

Good day to all. Sorry for my english, I am using google translate. I confirm the problem with the dark hero motherboard. My configuration is thermaltake toughpower grand rgb 750 80 plus gold standart, cpu- 5800x, vga-sapphire 5700xt nitro +, ram-4 * 8gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro CMW32GX4M4C3600C18. Default bios settings, version 3801. s \ n mb M7M0KC122044BX4. I have not experimented with the settings in bios S4 + S5 yet. I do not take the computer into sleep mode, I just turn it off completely. All of these components on the ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO motherboard worked fine. I think you need to admit that there is a defect in these motherboards or fix this problem in the next version of the BIOS. Thanks.

Moderator Array

Hi lexis-ermakov,
    Do you also face not startup issue after shut down and have to turn off and turn on power supply to boot?
    How often do the issue occur? Do it occur every time you shut down the pc?
    Thank you.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Unhappy Issue returned

Quote Originally Posted by JerJer123 View Post
    So just an update:

I submitted my issue to Asus support and they recommended I upgrade to the latest 3801 BIOS for my MB (X570 ROG Crosshair Viii hero WiFi). I upgraded and have not had the issue so far. I've put my PC to sleep multiple times - probably around 20 times straight - and it woke up every single time. Not sure if this is a fluke, but maybe the BIOS update fixed it for me. Fingers crossed. I recommend updating your BIOS to the latest version to see if this helps you. I will probably give another update here in a few days regardless of if it happens again.

Good luck.
    Well, it's been almost 4 days since I posted this and I guess it was too good to be true. The issue occurred last night once again. Put my PC to sleep and left the house for about 1.5 hours or so, came back, tried to wake, keyboard lights flash, RAM RGB is off (it is usually on when it wakes successfully), and "Hero" text on MB is illuminated. Had to switch power supply switch off and on to be able to boot back into system.

This is very frustrating.

New ROGer Array

Hi all,

I'm also having this issue with my Dark Hero since I built my new rig in June. I'm not using sleep mode, so I only have the issue that both the power button and the "Start" button on the mainboard don't work sometimes. I have to switch off the PSU then.

By enabling stealth mode in the BIOS, you can predict immediately after shutdown whether the power button will work. If all lights are off, the power button will work. If the "Start" button on the board is lit though, pressing the power button or the "Start" button has no observable effect. Enabling/disabling stealth mode does neither improve nor worsen the issue. It's just a good issue detector and a hint that something seems to go wrong during shutdown.

I've updated the BIOS twice since June and I'm using 3801 now. Back in summer the issue did occur more often than now. In summer it occurred approximately 1 out of 3 times, now it's more 1 out of 10 times. I'm not sure if it's the BIOS update, the lower ambient temperature or the fact that I don't play hardware demanding games recently. Although I tried I did not find a way to reliably reproduce the issue.

My specs are:

Asus Dark Hero (BIOS 3801)
    Ryzen 5950X
    128GB RAM 3600MHz (HX436C18FB3K4/128)
    Asus RTX3090-24G-EK (BIOS V4)
    Corsair AX1600i PSU
    Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB (NVMe)
    Both D-RGB Header are used

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by JerJer123 View Post
    Well, it's been almost 4 days since I posted this and I guess it was too good to be true. The issue occurred last night once again. Put my PC to sleep and left the house for about 1.5 hours or so, came back, tried to wake, keyboard lights flash, RAM RGB is off (it is usually on when it wakes successfully), and "Hero" text on MB is illuminated. Had to switch power supply switch off and on to be able to boot back into system.

This is very frustrating.
    Just going to RMA the board. Doesn't seem like this is going to get fixed through software.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by STARRAIN@ROG View Post
    Hi lexis-ermakov,
    Do you also face not startup issue after shut down and have to turn off and turn on power supply to boot?
    How often do the issue occur? Do it occur every time you shut down the pc?
    Thank you.
    Yes, everything is exactly like that. Short-term shutdown (10-30 minutes) everything is fine, if 8-10 hours it does not turn on. Capacitors?

Moderator Array

Hi all,
    If the issue occurs often on your ROG CROSSHAIR VIII DARK motherboard, and the bios is updated to 3081 with all default setting but the issue still occurs, could you please send RMA and PM me the following information?
    - the serial number and RMA number of the motherboard
    - How often do the issue occur? cannot wake up or cannot start up?
    - bios version and bios settings
    - the pc specs of the pc
    Thank you very much.

New ROGer Array

Unhappy Dark Hero Startup Issue

Hi all,

I can also confirm that I have experienced this issue; now on two Dark Hero boards -- very disappointing.

In June I assembled a new system using the Dark Hero as the basis. I immediately experienced the problem described in this thread: that occasionally after shutting down and/or going to sleep the machine could not be started again (by the power button, keyboard, etc) without isolating the PSU from the power source for sufficient time for the motherboard to fully discharge -- then the PC could be started again as normal. This would happy approximately 1 in 10 power-down or sleep events.

I contacted local Asus support (Netherlands) and discussed the issue. They suggested that I return the board to the store, as it was new. I did so, and got a refund. I then bought the same board (Dark Hero) from a different vendor -- the issue was instantly resolved and I could not replicate the problem again after weeks of use.

Unfortunately, after around three months of using the new Dark Hero board, the same issue has begin to re-appear. Very sad.

Edit: to clarify -- during this ordeal, to make doubly sure the motherboard was the issue, I've independently swapped out everything else in the system one-by-one and can reproduce the issue. Everything except the CPU (as I don't have another CPU or X570 MB to test). But there are not other issues in regular use, under load or otherwise

The fact that this issue appeared again after some time makes me think it is probably some kind of hardware degradation, but I suppose it could still be something odd in the BIOS firmware. [I'm a computer engineer and design medical systems for a big tech company -- just my intuition based on experience]

I could return my current board for replacement again but since this is my second board, I have become doubtful that the replacement will resolve issue. Is it just going to occur again after some time? I would like some more insight from Asus before I waste more time on disassembling my PC and waiting for RMAs. I have the feeling that, if this is a hardware issue, it is a fundamental design flaw.

[As a side note, and as someone in this thread already pointed out, you can observe immediately whether the power-down/sleep failed: by setting the motherboard aura lights to be in 'stealth mode' during sleep/power-off (bios setting), all of the lights should go out during a successful sleep/power-off -- in the case of this failure, the 'start' button light on the motherboard remains on immediately, indicating that this fault has occurred and the system will not restart in either a power-down or sleep. At least in my experience, the fault does not occur as the result of accumulation of time after sleep/power-off but immediately at the moment of the power event.]

@ASUS: do you recommend that I spend time returning this board again? Do you have confidence that board number 3 will be different from the others? i.e. Has any relevant issue been resolved in production that could affect this?
    Last edited by von_nihil; 11-08-2021 at 11:48 AM.

Page 15 of 60 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast