Page 31 of 64 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by STARRAIN@ROG View Post
    Hi stixix,
    I'm afraid the issue cannot be duplicated in the repair center, so the motherboard would be the original one.
    I would suggest that the engineering team needs to run the board for about 90 days before declaring "no problem found".
    Turn it on and off as often as they can over that period until the fault recurs, which it will.
    My experience was that it was very random and sometimes did not recur for a month or so. It made no difference how many times the system was shutdown.
    Its intermittent. You could shut it down 50 times in a row and not experience this issue, or it could happen every day for a few consecutive days, its just random.
    BIOS settings, temperature, peripherals, lighting, RAM, CPU, nothing helps.

ASUS needs to investigate this issue seriously. This is reputation damaging and I have not seen such a profound product issue like this in an ASUS board in some time. It may be that only a small proportion of boards is affected, but its still significant.

To all the posters here with this issue:
    First, I really feel for you guys.
    I had the exact same issue with my old Crosshair VIII Hero wi-fi. (I posted in another thread about it).
    I tried everything you guys have and eventually returned the board for full refund.
    I then purchased a Dark Hero, which has run perfectly over the past few months.
    If I'd known that the DH was susceptible to this issue then I probably would not have bought one and would have, regretfully, left ASUS.
    Fingers crossed this issue doesnt pop up with this board!

Anyhow, I used all the same hardware on the DH as I had on the CH8. So it wasnt any of my system components. The new board works flawlessly.

Like you I also played around with lots of BIOS configuration settings on the CH8, but nothing fixed it.
    Then I realised that the problem couldnt be related to a setting, anyhow.
    To understand this, when the system is shutdown and set to low power state then there is a kind of "handshake" between the PS and the board.
    This is all implemented as per the ATX spec and basically there is a "signal" (voltage at certain pins on the ATX connector) that tells the board what state the PS is in. On the board there is a power control circuit (PCC) which manages all this. (This is not too sophisticated, it just a couple of logical states in voltages on certain pins).
    IMHO this is where the fault lies and is probably a common component across these two boards (the DH and CH8).

There could be lots of reasons that the board PCC circuit is faulty, but clearly its nothing to do with the configuration settings in the BIOS because the system should power up when the start button is pressed, by design! IF there is a BIOS setting which turns out to trigger this behavior then its a fault in the firmware, not a feature!
    Now some people may be thinking about the new "low power state" feature of modern PS's and Windows. Maybe a PS without this new feature is related to this issue? I dont think so. PS's compliant with version 2.4 up will handle the power state, this is just a red herring IMO. My PS did not change between my old faulty CH8 and my new DH and its powering up the PC just fine.

So dont waste anymore time on this. The boards are faulty.
    ASUS needs to identify the faulty component(s), acknowledge the issue and fix/replace the boards as soon as a customer describes the symptoms, which are pretty clearly understood now.

Symptoms:
    • Within a month or two of installing the board,
    • Random no startup, with no lights, no fans, no video, no nothing. Nada,
    • Work around - power off the PS, wait a few seconds and power it back on,
    • System then starts normally,
    • No pattern,
    • Intermittent.

Good luck with it guys.

ROG Enthusiast Array

As or writing, it has been 142 days, or 4 months and 19 days since this thread was started.

The Critical Issue of failing to START UP affects 3 high end Asus Motherboards from the X570 family:
    The Asus Crosshair VIII Crosshair Dark Hero
    The Asus Crosshair VIII Hero
    The Asus Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi

Thousands of boards are affected, resulting in hundreds of RMAs and counting.
    Many received new boards with the exact same issue.

Asus has only recently started investigating it, 4 months after being first reported, Asus has not found the cause, or a solution.
    Little effort is being put into solving this critical problem from Asus.

Could all those affected please pick up the phone and CALL ASUS support or email them in order to accelerate their efforts in solving this.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by AsusExplorer View Post
    I would suggest that the engineering team needs to run the board for about 90 days before declaring "no problem found".
    Turn it on and off as often as they can over that period until the fault recurs, which it will.
    Thanks for the really nice post. I hope your new DH doesn't develop the fault.

I've now had two DH motherboards. I spent a long time with the first faulty DH isolating every system component and replacing with alternatives etc until I was sure it is the motherboard. The first one had this fault from the beginning and the second one 'developed' this fault after several months with zero occurrences and regular use. Now it happens ~1/10 sleeps or reboots/power-offs. Since I didn't alter any BIOS or DH firmware during the time over which it began to appear on the new board, I am suspicious that it is hardware/component fault as software/firmware intrinsic faults tend not to develop over time in this way... Unless, hope on hope, it is a timing or race-condition in the firmware that is exacerbated by normal component wear-in.

If Asus investigate the issue properly, perhaps one day we'll find out.

I used to default to Asus for motherboards because they had a reputation for component quality and reliability on their high-end products. That reputation is now shattered, no matter whether the issue is fixed tomorrow or not. It is now a matter of damage limitation for Asus, which I hope they are taking seriously.

As it stands for me, I'm left with the dilemma of having a system that I cannot trust to put to sleep (since any applications I have open may be unrecoverable) or going out and buying a motherboard from a different manufacturer.

If I could change my DH motherboard to the closest matching model from a different vendor, what would people here recommend? I'm genuinely curious as I'm seriously considering this now.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by von_nihil View Post
    If I could change my DH motherboard to the closest matching model from a different vendor, what would people here recommend? I'm genuinely curious as I'm seriously considering this now.
    I'm on this one as well - primary requirement is reliability and ECC support. secondary is 10Gbit Ethernet. (kind of ironic that I bought the DH to get reliability)

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by AsusExplorer View Post
    My experience was that it was very random and sometimes did not recur for a month or so. It made no difference how many times the system was shutdown.
    Its intermittent. You could shut it down 50 times in a row and not experience this issue, or it could happen every day for a few consecutive days, its just random.
    BIOS settings, temperature, peripherals, lighting, RAM, CPU, nothing helps.

ASUS needs to investigate this issue seriously. This is reputation damaging and I have not seen such a profound product issue like this in an ASUS board in some time. It may be that only a small proportion of boards is affected, but its still significant.

To all the posters here with this issue:
    First, I really feel for you guys.
    I had the exact same issue with my old Crosshair VIII Hero wi-fi. (I posted in another thread about it).
    I tried everything you guys have and eventually returned the board for full refund.
    I then purchased a Dark Hero, which has run perfectly over the past few months.
    If I'd known that the DH was susceptible to this issue then I probably would not have bought one and would have, regretfully, left ASUS.
    Fingers crossed this issue doesnt pop up with this board!

Anyhow, I used all the same hardware on the DH as I had on the CH8. So it wasnt any of my system components. The new board works flawlessly.

Like you I also played around with lots of BIOS configuration settings on the CH8, but nothing fixed it.
    Then I realised that the problem couldnt be related to a setting, anyhow.
    To understand this, when the system is shutdown and set to low power state then there is a kind of "handshake" between the PS and the board.
    This is all implemented as per the ATX spec and basically there is a "signal" (voltage at certain pins on the ATX connector) that tells the board what state the PS is in. On the board there is a power control circuit (PCC) which manages all this. (This is not too sophisticated, it just a couple of logical states in voltages on certain pins).
    IMHO this is where the fault lies and is probably a common component across these two boards (the DH and CH8).

There could be lots of reasons that the board PCC circuit is faulty, but clearly its nothing to do with the configuration settings in the BIOS because the system should power up when the start button is pressed, by design! IF there is a BIOS setting which turns out to trigger this behavior then its a fault in the firmware, not a feature!
    Now some people may be thinking about the new "low power state" feature of modern PS's and Windows. Maybe a PS without this new feature is related to this issue? I dont think so. PS's compliant with version 2.4 up will handle the power state, this is just a red herring IMO. My PS did not change between my old faulty CH8 and my new DH and its powering up the PC just fine.

So dont waste anymore time on this. The boards are faulty.
    ASUS needs to identify the faulty component(s), acknowledge the issue and fix/replace the boards as soon as a customer describes the symptoms, which are pretty clearly understood now.

Symptoms:
    • Within a month or two of installing the board,
    • Random no startup, with no lights, no fans, no video, no nothing. Nada,
    • Work around - power off the PS, wait a few seconds and power it back on,
    • System then starts normally,
    • No pattern,
    • Intermittent.

Good luck with it guys.
    Thank you for your post - As an engineer myself, I agree with your findings. I also agree with your thoughts regarding PSU. I have tried different CPUs with same result.

Looking forward to the battle I'm going to have with my retailer Monday, when they want to charge me for RMA'ing a "non-faulty" MB.

ROG Member Array

Question

Quote Originally Posted by von_nihil View Post
    I'm asking myself the same question..

ROG Enthusiast Array

BIOS 3904 start up issue

Hello guys,

No problem since I received my new board.
    But guess what ?

New start up issue with the new BIOS UPDATE....

The computer start, instantly switch off and restart by himself 2 second later...

To be honnest I think it's my last time I'll choose ASUS for motherboard.

Is there anyone with in the same case ? Eveything was fine with previous bios version

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyle View Post
    Hello guys,

But guess what ?

The computer start, instantly switch off and restart by himself 2 second later...

Is there anyone with in the same case ? Eveything was fine with previous bios version
    Thanks for reporting! LOL I wanted to update my BIOS today because sometimes my system crashes after an automated WOL, I don't know why.
    But yeah, I'll stick with 3801.

Totally agree, there are other great brands too. Sucks that I am out of the DOA and I don't want to sell faulty hardware labeled as "working".

ROG Member Array

Hello guys,

But guess what ?

This is crazy....I feel hopeless.

ROG Member Array

Hello guys,

But guess what ?

Its good news that your new board did not have the startup issue.
    For the BIOS issue; can I recommend that you start a new thread about it? I think many people would be interested in that.

Page 31 of 64 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 ... LastLast