cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fans and lights running constantly when powered off

Cujo159
Level 7
I would be most appreciative of assistance with the issue I'm having on my brand new build. This is the first ASUS mobo I've used since a build in 2009 and have not experienced it with Gigabyte mobos, EVGA GPUs, and Corsair PSUs I've used previously. The only new brand to my build process is the ASUS mobo.

System Specs:

• Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi
  • CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x
  • GPU: EVGA 3080ti FTW3
  • RAM: GSkill DDR4-3800 4x16bg
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i

Issue:
All Case fans and 2/3 GPU fans continuously spin after the computer is shut down; fan, GPU brace, and LED strip lights also remain powered after shutdown. In this state, PSU is still plugged in with the breaker switch on. This issue was present before the first power-up when all the hardware was connected and the PSU breaker was powered on.

Video:

Hardware Configuration

• Case fans and LED strips (all Corsair) are hooked up to a Corsair iCUE Commander Pro lighting and fan speed controller. This controller connects to the mobo via USB connection and has dedicated power to it from the PSU
  • GPU is plugged into the mobo PCI-E x16 #1 slot as normal and powered by the PSU via 3 8-connection power cables
  • GPU bracket holder RGB LED is plugged directly into ASUS MOBO RGB port (no additional power provided)

Troubleshooting thus far

• Adjusted Aura BIOS setting to all be off when in sleep or soft-off mode (no success)
  • Adjusted BIOS setting to not provide power to USB ports when powered off or soft-off (no success)
  • Plugged fans directly into mobo fan control slots (partial success - fans did not spin while off but LEDs remained powered while remaining connected to the iCUE controller)
  • Disconnected power to iCUE Controller (partial success - no case fans, their lights, or LED strips were powered obviously but 2/3 GPU fans remained spinning)
  • Switched off PSU breaker (success, obviously)
  • Asked Reddit (catastrophic failure, obviously)

Assumption: ASUS Mobo is causing the issue through some process that's providing latent power through USB ports
Rational

• GPU Bracket LEDs are plugged directly into the mobo
  • GPU is seated properly in the PCI-E x16 #1 slot and powered appropriately by the requisite power cables
  • CD drive (yes I still use them) is receiving power as well when off (connected via SATA and PSU power cable
  • USB hub is receiving power (connected via USB 3.0 cable and 2 PSU power cables)
  • IceGiant CPU cooler fans are plugged into Mobo CPU fan port and do not continuously spin when powered off (identical to when case fans are plugged in directly to mobo)

Thanks in advance for any assistance you all may be able to provide. While it looks cool when powered down, I'd rather not reduce the life of the GPU and case fans.
22 REPLIES 22

Cujo159
Level 7
Bump, still need assistance

ationfictons
Level 10
I'm clueless about this, but it sounds like it's possible the power supply isn't powering down when the board is powered off. Are you using the cables that came with the power supply? Or, are you using custom/old cables? All power supply cables are not necessarily pinned the same. About the only other possibility I can come up with is in the BIOS > Advanced > Onboard Device Config, but I'm almost certain that applies only to the LEDs built into the board, itself.

ationfictons wrote:
I'm clueless about this, but it sounds like it's possible the power supply isn't powering down when the board is powered off. Are you using the cables that came with the power supply? Or, are you using custom/old cables? All power supply cables are not necessarily pinned the same. About the only other possibility I can come up with is in the BIOS > Advanced > Onboard Device Config, but I'm almost certain that applies only to the LEDs built into the board, itself.

Yea I'm using all the provided, new cables. I'll check the device settings but I'm fairly sure i've previously attempted that setting configuration. Thanks for the suggestions, hopefully it helps. In the meantime, does anyone else have any ideas?

Side question, How do I submit a trouble ticket with ASUS? All I see as troubleshooting options is a call or online chat.

ationfictons
Level 10
There's an email option for support at:

https://rog.asus.com/support

(at least on my browser). And, the following looks like it's for starting the RMA process:

https://rma.asus.com/us

Oops. Let me back that up a bit in case you're not US-based:

https://rma.asus.com/

Ichigeki
Level 8
My friend had the same problem, and the problem was a faulty HDMI cable...I know it doesn't make sense, but when we used the bad HDMI cable, somehow the lights and fans doesn't turn off...

Specs: TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS / 3600X / Powercolor RX 550 / Seasonic S12III-550 .

It was a big trouble to find the problem, we even suspected that the PSU was faulty, but when we picked another HDMI cable, the problem was gone!

...HDMI...? As in literally an older monitor cable? That's so strange.

Coincidentally I am using one for this initial setup on an older monitor. I just tried unplugging it and unfortunately, it didn't change the behavior.

sc32valve
Level 7
You must turn off LEDs in S5 state = disabled. I will give you exactly where this setting is located in the BIOS if you like.

sc32valve wrote:
You must turn off LEDs in S5 state = disabled. I will give you exactly where this setting is located in the BIOS if you like.

I've tried that already but thank you for the suggestion. The problem is not only the case fans and lights, but also that it's spinning 2 of 3 of the GPU fans unnecessarily as well.

Tried a new PSU, resetting the BIOS, and clearing the CMOS and still have the same issue. This issue was present before even booting to the BIOS for the first time, after full assembly, with the Mobo brand new out of the box. I plugged in everything, powered on the PSU but not the computer, and the lights and fans in question all came on prior to turning on the system and entering the BIOS for the first time

Troubleshoot #2 results: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNrMEsEjX2I

Cujo159 wrote:
I've tried that already but thank you for the suggestion. The problem is not only the case fans and lights, but also that it's spinning 2 of 3 of the GPU fans unnecessarily as well.

Tried a new PSU, resetting the BIOS, and clearing the CMOS and still have the same issue. This issue was present before even booting to the BIOS for the first time, after full assembly, with the Mobo brand new out of the box. I plugged in everything, powered on the PSU but not the computer, and the lights and fans in question all came on prior to turning on the system and entering the BIOS for the first time

Troubleshoot #2 results: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNrMEsEjX2I

2 of 3 GPU fans? Really? That's a strange one for sure. The lights would totally make sense, but the GPU fans? Which GPU is this again? And what header do you have your lights plugged into?