cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C7H BIOS update without a CPU?

Thick8
Level 7
I want to put a 5800x into a board I bought. It doesn't have the 5800x compatible BIOS right now. My water cooling system is pretty extensive so I need to flash it on air cooling and I don't have a suitable GPU for it. I do have a 6800GT but no Win 10 drivers are available.
Thanks.
John
4 REPLIES 4

ationfictons
Level 10
The C7H supposedly supports BIOS Flashback. So, you ought to be able to flash the BIOS without anything but the power supply. Here are the instructions:

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1038568

Thick8
Level 7
Thanks. I think it worked. Won't know for sure till I finish the build next week.

Thick8 wrote:
Thanks. I think it worked. Won't know for sure till I finish the build next week.

If it starting blinking then stopped after a couple of minutes it worked. If it only blinked a few times it did not and that usually means either the BIOS was corrupt, the USB stick wasnt in the USB port labeled BIOS and formatted with fat32 and only the BIOS on it or the naming convention was wrong. Most of the time its the name that folks have an issue with. Its a short namne of your MOBO and dot cap. I run an R6EE so my BIOS files have to be named R6EE.CAP

sc32valve
Level 7
Thick8 wrote:
I want to put a 5800x into a board I bought. It doesn't have the 5800x compatible BIOS right now. My water cooling system is pretty extensive so I need to flash it on air cooling and I don't have a suitable GPU for it. I do have a 6800GT but no Win 10 drivers are available.
Thanks.
John

I've had a C7H and have used BIOS Flashback without issue to update BIOS with nothing on the board but power. It works great. As long as the light started flashing, got faster and faster until it went out, you're good to go. I absolutely love BIOS Flashback.