cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GT-AX11000 Hidden Network

code2australia
Level 7
Hi, I'm fairly new to networking but not totally new to computing.

OK. I'll start with I am not 100% positive that this "new" Hidden network didn't exist before because I simply just did not notice it. However, I don't believe that to be the case.

I have FFTC NBN with an Optus supplied Sagemcom Gateway F@ST 5366 TN Modem/Router.

Until last week I had a Netgear D7800 Router attached to the Sagemcom via a LAN port on Sagemcon and a LAN port on the Netgear.

Don't remember a hidden network showing up on my Windows 10 Desktop's network list while it had a TL-WDN3800 N600 Wireless Dual Band PCI Express Adapter.

Since then, I change the desktop's adapter to an ASUS PCE-AC88 AC3100 Wireless Dual Band PCI Express Adapter and a ASUS ROG GT-AX11000 Router. The router is connected to the Sagemcom via the same LAN port and the 2.5GE port on the ASUS ROG. Don't know if that 2.5GE port is how it should be, but it is working just fine.

After some checking I notice the two 5G channels on the Sagemcom and the Hidden channel were the same (136). So, I though that can't be good as they where the same signal strength and would likely interfere with each other. I didn't want to mess up a neighbours network, so I change the Sagemcom's 5G channel to 132 instead. Then I noticed the hidden network has also changed to 132. Investigating more the Hidden network had much the same MAC address as the 2.4 and 5G on my Sagemcom. In fact they are the same except for the last hex code 2.4G = a6, 5G = a7 and Hidden = a0.

So I figured the Hidden Network is actually coming from my Optus Sagemcom Modem/Router.

It is then I noticed the hidden network. It is not showing up on my Android phone or iPad. Just my Windows 10 Desktop, Windows 10 Laptop and the Netgear WiFi Analyser Android App.

The odd thing is that it doesn't appear all the time in Windows' available network list.

Any ideas on 1) if it should be there 2) if not, how to get rid of it.

Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4

RedSector73
Level 12
Turn off the Sagecom Wi-Fi and use the GT-AX11000 Wi-Fi. I would not be using the hidden network feature, if you have a proper password, this is normally good enough.

A hidden network has been around for years. What is does is hide the name, ie: "5g Optus Sagecom" ... Consider it like double the passwords, as the system no longer broadcasts hey I'm "5g Optus Sagecom" would you like to connect to me, password please....

Saltgrass
Level 13
It seems I have always had a Hidden network on my systems also.. Never knew what it was..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
It seems I have always had a Hidden network on my systems also.. Never knew what it was..

Wi-Fi 6 provides one address example "Auto GT-AX11000" and hides normally two networks (mine does two however it's not a Asus wifi 6), I would assume this is for switching from 5.0g to 2.4g seemlessly (I should have address this in my first post but I forgot about mentioning it becuase I was focused on the sagecom and the traditional use for hidden networks).

TechGuy42
Level 9
code2australia wrote:
I noticed the hidden network. It is not showing up on my Android phone or iPad. Just my Windows 10 Desktop, Windows 10 Laptop and the Netgear WiFi Analyser Android App.

This is quite interesting, I've noticed the same hidden network on my AXE11000... network disappears when I cut power to the router

Edit: jiberish? Hardly.