cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VIII Dark Hero USb-PD support?

TheSarge
Level 7
Which (if any) of the USB ports on the ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero have USB Power Delivery support? I don't see any information about this in the manual or the BIOS so I'm completely in the dark about this. I need an answer one way or the other please.
6 REPLIES 6

RedSector73
Level 12
My understanding is that any USB Type C (of which it has one) is USB-PD and typically any 3.1 or higher USB. So from this understanding, everything on the motherboard except the 4 x USB 2.0 port(s) should be USB-PD.

So, in summary the, are USB-PD
4 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 port(s)
4 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 port(s)
1 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 front panel connector port(s)
6 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 port(s)

TheSarge
Level 7
I thought that the PD was an optional standard that the OEM can choose to implement or not. Also, there's three versions (1.0, 2.0 and 3.0).

RedSector73
Level 12
I own CH8 wifi, even my older CH6 and all my phones fast charge without issue.

TheSarge
Level 7
I've been playing around with this for a while now and no matter what I do the best that I can can get out of any of the USB ports is 220mA. That's NOT USB-PD. It should be more like 5 amps. What the hell do I have to to get USB-PD out of the ports?

xeromist
What kind of device are you trying to power? As you say, PD is optional and even among PD devices you'll have varying wattage. A lot of USB devices will also support something like QC 3.0 which is not PD so if both don't support the same standard you'll fall back to base USB power.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

sc32valve
Level 7
I don't know about the USB A ports, but I can check them. I can confirm however that the USB-C port both fast charges my phone AND drives my fast wireless charger. A benefit I did not expect with the wireless charging pad.