cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad performance on G74SX

GreenComedian
Level 7
Hi everyone!

So I've read alot of posts about the performance on the G74SX and I think that I'm not getting the same performance as others. For example I've read people saying they play games like skyrim and BF3 on high/ultra with no problems and I've seen clips on youtube showing it. The thing is... in campaing on BF3 for example on low settings my fps is 35-50 and on high settings my fps is 20-30 and I don't know what to do about it.
I'm running BF3 on 1920x1080 resolution. Do I maybe need to lower that?

I'm running throttle stop and I have performance mode on and I have the latest drivers and everything... I really don't know what the problem is.

If anyone have any suggestions or fixes I would be very thankful.

I have a ASUS G74SX-TZ277V that I bought in Sweden but the computer is from Norway

The specs:
Intel Core i7 2670QM / 2.2 Ghz
8GB of RAM memory
Nvidia GTX560M 3GB

Could the problem be that I only have 8GB of ram? Because most people have the 12 or 16 GB versions of the G74SX.
35 REPLIES 35

TorturedBIscuit
Level 7
GreenComedian wrote:
on BF3 for example on low settings my fps is 35-50 and on high settings my fps is 20-30 and I don't know what to do about it.

I actually laughed. You expect more? 20-30fps on Battlefield 3 isn't that bad, if you wanted to run it smoothly on maxed out settings you should've just bought a desktop computer not a laptop. You really think ASUS is so dumb that they'll sell a PORTABLE DEVICE that is able to flawlessly run a game with top tier graphics AND costs 1.5k$ at the same time?

If you want that kind of laptop though, pay 4x more, buy Alienware or some other crap with custom build, but don't complain when after several weeks it dies or sets your house on fire while you're playing BF3.
Currently owning: G74SX-AH71

TorturedBIscuit wrote:
I actually laughed. You expect more? 20-30fps on Battlefield 3 isn't that bad, if you wanted to run it smoothly on maxed out settings you should've just bought a desktop computer not a laptop. You really think ASUS is so dumb that they'll sell a PORTABLE DEVICE that is able to flawlessly run a game with top tier graphics AND costs 1.5k$ at the same time?

If you want that kind of laptop though, pay 4x more, buy Alienware or some other crap with custom build, but don't complain when after several weeks it dies or sets your house on fire while you're playing BF3.

Where do we submit nominations for "Least Helpful Post of the Week?" I think we have a winner!

BrodyBoy wrote:
Where do we submit nominations for "Least Helpful Post of the Week?" I think we have a winner!

Thank you! My thoughts exactly.

GreenComedian wrote:
Okey then tell me what this is? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9Pqfp23mZA

A video card with default core speed of 775MHz clocked up to 940MHz and you can't see the difference? That's a shame.

BrodyBoy wrote:

How smart! Did you come up with that joke by yourself? However, that doesn't change the fact that I'm right.

BF3 won't run smoothly unless you OC the GTX560M. End of story.

TorturedBIscuit wrote:
A video card with default core speed of 775MHz clocked up to 940MHz and you can't see the difference? That's a shame.

How smart! Did you come up with that joke by yourself? However, that doesn't change the fact that I'm right.

BF3 won't run smoothly unless you OC the GTX560M. End of story.

I won't even bother you clearly aren't here to help.

GreenComedian wrote:
I won't even bother you clearly aren't here to help.

It's funny how you're seeking help when there is none. That is how G74SX performs and if you want to change that, upgrade or overclock the card.

Ok, maybe I was a little harsh but how exactly do you expect to be treated when you purchase a 1000$+ product without even knowing what it's capable of?

EDIT: I'm not making all this up, I also own a G74SX.

Okey then tell me what this is? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9Pqfp23mZA

I know that is OC but still so much difference?

Next time you post something. Post something that would help instead of posting your unnecessary comments...

I asked politely and that is how you answer me.. Seriously don't post anything if you don't have anything useful to say.

BrodyBoy
Level 10
GreenComedian wrote:
Could the problem be that I only have 8GB of ram? Because most people have the 12 or 16 GB versions of the G74SX.

I seriously doubt that that's a problem. As I understand it, there are very few games that ever approach full use of 8Gb. I don't know enough about those games and what frame rates you should expect, but maybe other G74s owners who do play them can share their experiences and help you out.

BrodyBoy wrote:
I seriously doubt that that's a problem. As I understand it, there are very few games that ever approach full use of 8Gb. I don't know enough about those games and what frame rates you should expect, but maybe other G74s owners who do play them can share their experiences and help you out.

Okay thank you for that information! Then I don't have to go out and buy more Ram memory 😛