cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX Cracked Screen

VanTully
Level 7
I already know what most are going to say about this but I will say you are wrong unless our house is haunted..lol
I've got the G73, love it, no problems at all with it..went out 7 months ago and bought the wife the G74 so I could keep her off of mine 🙂
So heres the deal: Wife logs off and closes her G74 before she goes to work last night (RN btw). I'm home all by my lonesome, hit the sack about 11pm. Gets cold in the house last night not freezing but quite chilly..She gets home from work this morning, I grab my coffee and sit down at my G73 and fire this baby up..She opens her G74, turns it on and freaks out..screen is cracked bad at the very most bottom edge right in the middle..strange..very strange. no damage whatsoever to the outside case and not so much a scratch on the outer screen. I'm baffled to say the least and she's quite upset of course..See Pic..
Both laptops sitting on the kitchen table, directly across from each other btw.
I'm at a loss as what could do this..is there some stress point in that parts of the screen that I don't see? A moderate temp change surely wouldn't cause a crack like this would it?

Thanks for any info and ideas..7517
11 REPLIES 11

dstrakele
Level 14
I've noticed it is relatively easy to torque the display on my G74SX when closing the lid from one corner. And I am concerned about what may be behind the screen that could put pressure on it when it is torqued. For that reason, I grab the lid at the corners with both hands (or at the middle with one hand) and gently lower it.

I can't imagine indoor temperature variations being capable of that type of damage, unless you live in Antarctica. Do you have any pets that may have jumped up on the table looking for food and may have landed on it? I'm sure it's some sort of freak accident. Never heard or read anything like it before...

The only thing close is I've read of Galaxy Nexus smartphone displays that have cracked, but the curved glass in front is also unscratched. Still, these reported cracks are difficult to see. It is good you provided a picture. I'm sorry this happened to you.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Thanks 🙂 I just don't get it myself, these lappy's seem very well built, as I've always expected from Asus. No pets to jump on it or anything.. just the weirdest thing I've seen in all my years.
Your right though, she may have closed it from the corner (i'll have to ask her when she wakes up) and there could be something behind the screen to "poke" it if it torqued but these seem to close with minimal effort and smoothly so I'm hard pressed to think they torque enough to do that..but hey anything is possible (even the house being haunted is possible and we've managed to piss off the ghost lol).
If I look at it from the right angle, i can see the cracks and it looks like the lower black dot in the above pic is where it has originated. There is a circle crack that the other cracks radiate from but at the bottom of that circle is a very small, very pinpoint "impact" point. This tiny impact point is about the size of tip of a needle, its that small.
See pic.
Not so much as a scratch, dent, or smudge on the plastic lens btw which leads me to think there may possibly be a "high" solder joint or a screw behind there and a slightly torqued lid closing made it come in contact with the backside of the lcd?
I'm sure an Asus warranty repair center will say owner damage but a very detailed inspection with a lick of common sense would show otherwise..

dstrakele
Level 14
I agree with your idea about the possible high solder point as a likely explanation. I recommend sending a PM to Mason@ASUS to see if he can assist you with your RMA.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Any chance you have the one-year Accidental Damage Protection coverage?

It also appears, BTW, that perhaps a small object could have been sitting on the top cover, near the lid. WHen the laptop was closed....pop!

Boosted_R
Level 8
+1 I have also notice a ton of flex in the screen, this is my 5th laptop, and the first with flex in the screen. When mine is home I never close it. Good luck, hopefully you have accidental coverage, if not a screen is about $150
GL702VSK / GTX 1070 / M.2 960 EVO

HTPC MINI-ITX / FRACTAL CORE 500 / GIGABYTE GA-AB350N / GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4G / RYZEN 5 1600 3.9GHz / M.2 960 EVO / G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 3200MHz
OLD
ASUS G74SX-XC1 / INTEL 7260 AC / Samsung 850 PRO / TUNIQ TX-4 / BIOS 203 / 335.23

Man thats rough. Hope you can get it covered. From just a quick look:
http://completewarranty.asus.com/Content/US/ADP/ADP.aspx

It looks like it would be covered if its within the 1st year timeframe, although the registering being required within the first 60 days.. Can anyone confirm if this is VIP registration of a device or something seperate? I believe I registered my device on the Asus website, but not specifically here for ADP? Are you covered under ADP if you just register like a regular product?
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

MrRuckus wrote:
It looks like it would be covered if its within the 1st year timeframe, although the registering being required within the first 60 days.. Can anyone confirm if this is VIP registration of a device or something seperate? I believe I registered my device on the Asus website, but not specifically here for ADP? Are you covered under ADP if you just register like a regular product?

I've been curious about this too. Because they make such a point (and a whole separate website) about registering for the ADP coverage within 60 days, and even require that you submit your proof-of-purchase online, my guess is that they are sticklers about about it...i.e., if you didn't do the ADP registration, you're out of luck. But I'd really like to hear confirmation one way or another, since I can't even recall anyone here who has specifically filed a claim under the ADP provisions.

I'd be especially curious to know how rigid they are about the 60-day registration deadline, and also, how state laws against extra hoop-jumping for warranty activation/coverage apply in this situation. (My cynical side thinks this may be precisely why they make it separate: Many states prohibit registration as a requirement for warranty coverage, but since this is an "extra" or "bonus" service that isn't available to all owners, I suspect they manage to skirt those laws and limit this coverage to those owners who remember to register for it.)

Boosted_R
Level 8
I believe their pretty firm on the 60 day registration, its there way of avoiding everyone having ADP, saves them money like other companies do...... Even lets say they did agree, it took me almost 2 months for ASUS to register ADP.........VIP I believe gives extra warranty sometimes, but not ADP.
GL702VSK / GTX 1070 / M.2 960 EVO

HTPC MINI-ITX / FRACTAL CORE 500 / GIGABYTE GA-AB350N / GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4G / RYZEN 5 1600 3.9GHz / M.2 960 EVO / G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 3200MHz
OLD
ASUS G74SX-XC1 / INTEL 7260 AC / Samsung 850 PRO / TUNIQ TX-4 / BIOS 203 / 335.23

Boosted_R wrote:
I believe their pretty firm on the 60 day registration, its there way of avoiding everyone having ADP, saves them money like other companies do...... Even lets say they did agree, it took me almost 2 months for ASUS to register ADP.........VIP I believe gives extra warranty sometimes, but not ADP.

Yeah, ADP is definitely a separate thing from the regular warranty and from extended coverage. And again, because it's a "bonus" benefit that's only available when you buy certain machines through certain retailers...not a universal benefit attached to a model...I bet they can impose extra requirements (registration) and still avoid warranty laws. As you say, a way to save money, even while purportedly offering "the best warranty in the business." 😉