cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which M2 will windows install on (Hero XII)?

Peskarik
Level 7
Hi all,
Stupid question, but I thought it would be better to ask before I start the installation. :confused:

I am building my new (since 12 years) PC.
I have Hero XII board.
I installed two M2 SSDs in slot 1 (980 Pro 1Tb) and in slot 2 (970 Evo Plus 1Tb).

I will install windows 10 from CD and this will be from external DVD drive as my case does not have DVD drive slot (Fractal Define S2).

Question: will I be able to select the drive on which Windows will be installed? I want it on 980 Pro in M2 slot 1.

Or shall I remove the drive from slot 2, install windows and then install the drive in slot 2?

Thank you in advance!
3 REPLIES 3

Alvez_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi
Question: will I be able to select the drive on which Windows will be installed? I want it on 980 Pro in M2 slot 1.
→Usually, we can choose disk in installation process.And you could recognize which disk is your target from part name of SSD.
Or shall I remove the drive from slot 2, install windows and then install the drive in slot 2?
→It is also a good idea to keep only one drive on mobo , in case you install the other one what you wouldn't like to install.

You can enter BIOS to check your booting device as well or press escape key to check booting device which you want to install os.

Have a nice day.

BigJohnny
Level 13
If you cant distinguish one from the other in the install sequence then its best to remove the one you dont want to install to then you only have one choice. If they are different in size its easy but if the size is the same the only info you get is disk # and partitions is there are any. If not it will just prompt you to create a partition on the target drive.

RedSector73
Level 12
It is also wise only to only have one drive in when installing Windows 10 or otherwise it acts like a virus and writes boot data to every drive available and if you change to say dual boot, it then it overwrites this from the other drives, which can be fustrating.