cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C7H NVMe slot. Which one?

Thick8
Level 7
Does it matter which slot I use? Wasn't sure if one shares bandwidth with the #1 PCIe lanes or something.
Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2

RedSector73
Level 12
Thick8 wrote:
Does it matter which slot I use? Wasn't sure if one shares bandwidth with the #1 PCIe lanes or something.
Thanks.

Graphics that explains, borrowed from this forum ... i think... anyway M2.1 is best to use / not shared. Which if you check manual P1-25 is bottom one.

The procedure for install of windows on a new NVMe drive.

Enter BIOS, Advanced mode,

1 - Make sure you unplug all SATA and USB drives, the M.2 drive has to be the only drive installed.
2 - Go into the bios, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM, make sure it is disabled.
3 - Click on secure boot option below and make sure it is set to other OS, Not windows UEFI.
4 - Click on key management and clear secure boot keys.
5 - Insert a USB memory stick with a UEFI bootable iso of Windows 10 on it.
6 - Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.
7 - Windows will now start installing to your NVME drive as it has its own NVME driver built in.
8 - When the PC reboots hit F2 to go back into the BIOS, you will see under boot priority that windows boot manager now lists your NVME drive.
9 - Click on secure boot again but now set it to Windows UEFI mode.
10 - Click on key management and install default secure boot keys
11 - Press F10 to save and exit and windows will finish the install.

PS - To be Windows 11 ready do this after the above, (and assuming you have above 1st Gen Ryzen)

Enter BIOS, Advanced mode.

Navigate to
Advanced Menu -> AMD fTPM Configuartion
TPM Device Selection: Firmware TPM

Save & Exit

Hope you find this helpful.

sc32valve
Level 7
M.2_1 is best to use because it gets its lanes directly from the CPU. It is not the end of the world to use M.2_2 in cases where maybe you have a larger SSD or just happen to lay it out that way. There is a very small performance penalty, 4.3% in my experience, and a small temperature penalty, about 1-2 degrees C on the chipset temp, in my experience.

Keep in mind that these calculations are based on a C8H though with dual PCIe 4.0 x 4 SSDs installed. Identical SSDs in both slots.