Did you mean: 

Maximus XIII Hero - Windows install cannot see RAID0

DarvinAtkeson
Level 7
Installed the I9 11900k, 64 GB RAM.
BIOS updated today to current version.
Two Tohiba SATA SSD drives
Turned on the Intel Raid restarted.
Added the two drives to the array in BIOS as instructions say to do.
Load up Windows Install.

Windows finds no drives.
BIOS reports RAID is there and with the Volume name correctly but I cannot get the Windows installer to recognize the RAID 0 drive. Even adding a third non-RAID drive isn't recognized.

NOTE: If I delete the RAID, Windows will see all the drives correctly.

This is the second motherboard that does this. So pretty sure it's not a bad board. Just cannot get the Windows installer to recognize any drives if the RAID is turned on.
5 REPLIES 5

DarvinAtkeson
Level 7
Oh how old school!!!!

I guess I was just spoiled by my old ASUS Z-87 Deluxe which I have had for years. No driver required for RAID .
It finally dawned on me I might have to load a driver the way we had to years ago.

And it seems that is the case even in 2021.
Put the driver on the Windows Media Install drive and worked like a charm. A very old charm.
Windows is now installing.
DOH!!!!

BigJohnny
Level 13
Need a donut with that? LOL
Yeah any time you are loading onto a raid drive you have to load F6 drivers before it will see it.

hi guys ... i just can't install raid0 drivers in windows 10 ... i tried all the driver types listed ... but windows 10 doesn't detect the driver. from bios everything is perfectly configured. boot from usb stick installing windows 10 but I try to select any type of driver .... from those listed to others obviously in another usb stick ... but there is no way to make windows recognize the raid0 and I don't understand why

Cri81ita wrote:
hi guys ... i just can't install raid0 drivers in windows 10 ... i tried all the driver types listed ... but windows 10 doesn't detect the driver. from bios everything is perfectly configured. boot from usb stick installing windows 10 but I try to select any type of driver .... from those listed to others obviously in another usb stick ... but there is no way to make windows recognize the raid0 and I don't understand why

If you have a CD / DVD or BluRay drive, insert the disc that came with the motherboard and browse to the RAID driver. It should find it.

If you do not have a CD drive of any type, then download the RAID driver from ASUS drivers page for your motherboard and extract (unzip) them onto your thumb drive. You can do this on the Windows Installation Media thumb drive or a different thumb drive but for me it was just easy to put it on the Windows install thumb drive in folder I labeled "RAID". You will have to point Windows installer to the drivers when it asks you for the location to install Windows onto.

BigJohnny wrote:
Need a donut with that? LOL
Yeah any time you are loading onto a raid drive you have to load F6 drivers before it will see it.

I guess I got spoiled with my ASUS Z-87 Deluxe motherboard. No driver was ever required.

I just assumed all ASUS motherboards would come with the same built in BIOS RAID system. Not sure why they gave that feature up. It made it really simple to turn on the RAID in BIOS then reboot and press CTRL + I to go into the RAID configuration software to setup the RAID drives. Then just boot into Windows Installer and it would see it. Or perhaps Windows 7,8 and 10 all included the necessary driver?

Not sure but in the 12 years I owned it I never had to load a driver for the RAID.