cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VII Hero doesn't see NVMe

Animal451a
Level 7
I have a Crosshair VII motherboard that boots to Windows 10 on a WD Blue 1TB SSD. I have tried adding a Samsung 960 EVO M.2 1TB but it doesn't seem to be recognized in the BIOS or Windows (Disk Management). I've tried it in both slots with the same result. The WD Blue is plugged into SATA port 3. In the manual section 3.6.9 (NVMe Configuration) it says "You may view the NVMe controller and Drive informationif the NVMe device is connected."

I don't see the NVMe Configuration in the BIOS anywhere?

Any help would be appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4

AS185
Level 10
Hey,
Do you have an Athlon or AMD 7th generation A-series processor installed? If so, the M.2_2 socket is automatically disabled. Theoretically, even if you have one graphics card installed in the first PCIe slot then the M2_1 socket will run under X4 mode. From my understanding, any type of M.2 SSD should be recognized if installed in M2_1 slot. So the question is, how many of the PCIe slots you have occupied and what kind of processor do you possess?

AS185 wrote:
Hey,
Do you have an Athlon or AMD 7th generation A-series processor installed? If so, the M.2_2 socket is automatically disabled. Theoretically, even if you have one graphics card installed in the first PCIe slot then the M2_1 socket will run under X4 mode. From my understanding, any type of M.2 SSD should be recognized if installed in M2_1 slot. So the question is, how many of the PCIe slots you have occupied and what kind of processor do you possess?

The processor is a Ryzen 5 3600xt but I'm not sure what generation that is (this is my first try with an AMD build). There isn't anything else installed except the RTX 1080 Strix and the WD 1TB as my boot drive.

RedSector73
Level 12
Here is the procedure for install of windows on a new NVMe drive.

Enter BIOS, Advanced mode,

1 - Make sure you unplug all SATA and USB drives, the M.2 drive has to be the only drive installed.
2 - Go into the bios, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM, make sure it is disabled.
3 - Click on secure boot option below and make sure it is set to other OS, Not windows UEFI.
4 - Click on key management and clear secure boot keys.
5 - Insert a USB memory stick with a UEFI bootable iso of Windows 10 on it.
6 - Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.
7 - Windows will now start installing to your NVME drive as it has its own NVME driver built in.
8 - When the PC reboots hit F2 to go back into the BIOS, you will see under boot priority that windows boot manager now lists your NVME drive.
9 - Click on secure boot again but now set it to Windows UEFI mode.
10 - Click on key management and install default secure boot keys
11 - Press F10 to save and exit and windows will finish the install.

Hope you find this helpful.

PS - To be Windows 11 ready do this after the above,

Enter BIOS, Advanced mode.

Navigate to
Advanced Menu -> AMD fTPM Configuartion
TPM Device Selection: Firmware TPM

Save & Exit

RedSector73 wrote:
Here is the procedure for install of windows on a new NVMe drive.

Enter BIOS, Advanced mode,

1 - Make sure you unplug all SATA and USB drives, the M.2 drive has to be the only drive installed.
2 - Go into the bios, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM, make sure it is disabled.
3 - Click on secure boot option below and make sure it is set to other OS, Not windows UEFI.
4 - Click on key management and clear secure boot keys.
5 - Insert a USB memory stick with a UEFI bootable iso of Windows 10 on it.
6 - Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.
7 - Windows will now start installing to your NVME drive as it has its own NVME driver built in.
8 - When the PC reboots hit F2 to go back into the BIOS, you will see under boot priority that windows boot manager now lists your NVME drive.
9 - Click on secure boot again but now set it to Windows UEFI mode.
10 - Click on key management and install default secure boot keys
11 - Press F10 to save and exit and windows will finish the install.

Hope you find this helpful.

PS - To be Windows 11 ready do this after the above,

Enter BIOS, Advanced mode.

Navigate to
Advanced Menu -> AMD fTPM Configuartion
TPM Device Selection: Firmware TPM

Save & Exit

I didn’t want the NVMe to be my boot drive. Does it have to be setup this way?