cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclocking Intel 11900K on Maximus XIII Hero

Yami_Samurai140
Level 8
I'm not sure if this is a repetitive thread, I apologize in advance but I guess sometimes we can't find answers due to the differences of each setup, anyway here we go.

I've been away from PC building for a long time ((the last PC I built was in 2010 )) and from that time until today I've noticed the big leap from that technology to this day, and I'm truly amazed how far it was pushed.

Recently, however, I was able to build my first machine in years (( you can see all the specifics in my profile )) and I can say I'm super satisfied with this investment I made.

I've tried to overclock my system, watched videos on YouTube, read articles here and there across the internet, but let's say I'm far from being happy with the results, as benchmarking the machine shows always a heated throttle for the CPU.

I Wanna ask if someone could share with me their successful overclocking with almost the similar specs of their machines, It would help me get a better idea and I could squeeze the juice out of my machine.

In case anyone wanna more information you can dm me or write here.

Thanks for the reading until this point, hopefully I can see the generosity of the community real soon.
6 REPLIES 6

BigJohnny
Level 13
If you are hitting a thermal throttle its time to look at the cooling. Im not a fan of AIOs.
What setting are you using? I know my 10980XE laughs at an AIO. Cant get past 4.4GHz but with a proper custom loop get 5.1GHz no worries.
If you must stay AIO make sure you have a good mount and using decent TIM like Kryonaut. Just accept that any AIO will hold you back from its full potential. Its a hot chip and needs a decent block and proper custom loop to get decent OC results.

BigJohnny wrote:
If you are hitting a thermal throttle its time to look at the cooling. Im not a fan of AIOs.
What setting are you using? I know my 10980XE laughs at an AIO. Cant get past 4.4GHz but with a proper custom loop get 5.1GHz no worries.
If you must stay AIO make sure you have a good mount and using decent TIM like Kryonaut. Just accept that any AIO will hold you back from its full potential. Its a hot chip and needs a decent block and proper custom loop to get decent OC results.

Thank you and sorry for the late reply, I agree with you about the custom loop, but I've just purchased the AIO cooler, and it's too late to change it now, I think I will have to stick with it. and do some humble overclocking.

Yami_Samurai1408 wrote:
Thank you and sorry for the late reply, I agree with you about the custom loop, but I've just purchased the AIO cooler, and it's too late to change it now, I think I will have to stick with it. and do some humble overclocking.

So I also run a 11900k but I am using the 13 extreme board. I have a SP chip rating of 87 as well which is pretty darn good. I am able to run 5.1 ghz at 1.35vcore. LLC level 7 and cache at stock. I was also able to run in most games 5.2ghz at 1.39 vcore with reasonable temps. I am using a 360mm AIO the ROG Ryujin. What AIO are you using? Also, are you manually controlling fan and pump speed? What temps are you seeing in HW info on the cores and also the package temp?

BigJohnny wrote:

You make a fair point, but an AIO, if a reasonably good one, 240mm or larger, is very capable of handling overclocks on a Mainstream desktop chip. Can't really compare the HEDT platform to the Mainstream platform in this regard. A 10980xe has 10 more cores then the 11900k and if you want to specifically overclock that chip, then you should absolutely go with a custom loop.

ThrashZone
Level 10
Hi,
These new platforms throttle by default it has little to do with heat it is intel silly power limits to show it uses less power on paper

Just posted some bios settings on another thread here they are again but yes an aio will be at it's limit so you should work your way up starting with 5.0 all core and go up from there monitoring core temperatures you will hit a thermal limit.

Ai Overclock Tuner [XMP II]
Maximus Tweak [Mode 1]

ASUS MultiCore Enhancement [Enabled – Remove All limits]
SVID Behavior
AVX Instruction Core Ratio Negative Offset [0]
CPU Core Ratio [Sync All Cores]
ALL-Core Ratio Limit [53]

CPU Core/Cache Current Limit Max. [255.75]
Long Duration Package Power Limit [4095]
Package Power Time Window [448]
Short Duration Package Power Limit [4095]

Min. CPU Cache Ratio [50] "or 49 if you feel better about it"
Max CPU Cache Ratio [50] "............................................. ..."
BCLK Aware Adaptive Voltage [Enabled]
CPU Core/Cache Voltage [Manual Mode]
- CPU Core Voltage Override [1.420]

CPU VCCIO Voltage [1.35000]
CPU System Agent Voltage [1.420]
PLL Termination Voltage [1.05000]
PCH Core Voltage [Auto]

Run a short test Cinebench R15 and see where your temperatures are at see if you can handle R23 or R20.....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ThrashZone wrote:
Hi,
These new platforms throttle by default it has little to do with heat it is intel silly power limits to show it uses less power on paper

Just posted some bios settings on another thread here they are again but yes an aio will be at it's limit so you should work your way up starting with 5.0 all core and go up from there monitoring core temperatures you will hit a thermal limit.

Ai Overclock Tuner [XMP II]
Maximus Tweak [Mode 1]

ASUS MultiCore Enhancement [Enabled – Remove All limits]
SVID Behavior
AVX Instruction Core Ratio Negative Offset [0]
CPU Core Ratio [Sync All Cores]
ALL-Core Ratio Limit [53]

CPU Core/Cache Current Limit Max. [255.75]
Long Duration Package Power Limit [4095]
Package Power Time Window [448]
Short Duration Package Power Limit [4095]

Min. CPU Cache Ratio [50] "or 49 if you feel better about it"
Max CPU Cache Ratio [50] "............................................. ..."
BCLK Aware Adaptive Voltage [Enabled]
CPU Core/Cache Voltage [Manual Mode]
- CPU Core Voltage Override [1.420]

CPU VCCIO Voltage [1.35000]
CPU System Agent Voltage [1.420]
PLL Termination Voltage [1.05000]
PCH Core Voltage [Auto]

Run a short test Cinebench R15 and see where your temperatures are at see if you can handle R23 or R20.....

Those CPU VCCIO and SA Voltages are scary high. You are going to want to lower those dramatically. I am running ram at Gear 2 4267mhz and I have vccio set to 1.20 and SA at 1.15