cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9E Q-code showing after BIOS update to v. 3801 (Crosshair VIII Hero wi-fi)

Emiliano85
Level 8
Hello Asus.

I just updated to latest BIOS (Version 3801) for my Crosshair VIII Hero wi-fi board, and ever since my board shows Q-code "9E" permanently while in Windows 10?

The manual states that 9E = "Reserved for future AMI codes".

System seems stable, but still i don't get why this occurs out of the blue, and what it really means?
15 REPLIES 15

RedSector73
Level 12
It means the firmware TPM is active in the BIOS and working.

RedSector73 wrote:
It means the firmware TPM is active in the BIOS and working.

Thanks, but why is this showing through Q-codes all of a sudden? I mean, i suppose it was always working, and not just after a BIOS update?

Also it doesn't go away when i disable / set the TPM to "Discrete TPM" under Advanced\AMD fTPM configuration (change from "Firmware TPM") in the BIOS...

RedSector73
Level 12
Well before this it would show AA or 30. Which basically can be read to mean a successful hand off to OS or wake up.

If you don't like it, can turn it off (some motherboards) or on ours, put it on AUTO and it will display temperature of CPU once sucessfully moves through boot codes.

The Q codes only matter is gets stuck, stops or reboots with one displaying otherwise they really dont have much meaning.

RedSector73 wrote:
Well before this it would show AA or 30. Which basically can be read to mean a successful hand off to OS or wake up.

If you don't like it, can turn it off (some motherboards) or on ours, put it on AUTO and it will display temperature of CPU once sucessfully moves through boot codes.

The Q codes only matter is gets stuck, stops or reboots with one displaying otherwise they really dont have much meaning.

So this is normal, and the same for everybody who updated their BIOS to 3801?

La verdad creo que si, yo tmb la actualice porque tenia unos problemas y desde que la actualice me di cuenta que apara el qcode 9e

Creo que es normal porque todo va bien tmb no tengo problemas

RedSector73
Level 12
I have 9E displaying in my BIOS and not updated yet, and anyone could do this from the first one. So yeah, cool and normal.

wacdag
Level 7
Just updated my BIOS to 3801 and started getting 9E too. I also know that before on previous version of BIOS the firmware TPM was disabled and the board would display AA. I think ASUS have turned on firmware TPM by default to avoid people running into problems installing Windows 11 for which TPM needs to be on.

tebakantv wrote:
I get this same code at my windows 11, so this 9E code will stay on till I disable the FTMP in bios?

Windows 11 requires this, so I would not disable it.

Tuxinator
Level 7
I'm using Crosshair VIII Impact on 3402 firmware with TPM turned on for bitlocker purposes in Windows 10. I get 9E code on the back and boots with no issues.